Makarov: how many pulls lighten the DA pull?

Bought the Russian .380, Bulgarian and my first EG over a year ago. All in excellent condition and rock-solid reliable, with either the 380 or 9x18 mags in each.

Tried 80-100 pulls on ether the Bulgy or Russian with nothing different noticed.

Whichever experience you have is probably reflected at the Makarov forum on Gunboards.

TunnelRat

If only 80-100 pulls had a noticeable impact on the spring force then you'd have some serious problems long term.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lee n. field

Makarov: how many pulls lighten the DA pull?

Why would trigger pull lighten? I expect it would get smoother, on account of wear on various surfaces, but it wouldn't lighten. The shooter might perceive the better trigger as lighter.

How are recoil and magazine springs going to help the trigger pull?

My recollection, from when I was more into Makarovs, was that trigger quality could vary quite a bit from gun to gun.

jdscholer

I improved mine noticeably by cycling it DA, even applying pressure and control on the hammer. (preventing free fall of the hammer)

I say improved, because it is much smoother an less "scritchy". As far as lighter pull - -- that I can't say. If nothing else, your trigger finner will get stronger and it may feel lighter.:p jd

My mistake.

A smoother (more consistent pressure) DA pull must be the right description.
This is my only complaint about these superb guns.

peggysue

Nope, no Wolf or other hammer/trigger springs available for the Makarov.
Lightening that spring has the tendency to make the single action a hair trigger. The long arduous stiff pull on the trigger is also a safety mechanism.
You can try removing the firing pin and dry firing it 5,000 times while watching re-runs of "Red October". Use smooths a Mak out somewhat. Other than that, it is what it is, Comrade.

Here a thread on it to read. Some ho to dos..

Just polish the tip of the hammer spring where it contacts the hammer and that hump on the hammer that makes contact. Polish only and it should smooth out the pull nicely. Maybe polish underneath the sear where it also makes contact, POLISH ONLY.
Attached is a Pic so you do not have to Join.

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?562569-lighten-Double-Action-Trigger-Pull

Attachments

• mak.jpg
    mak.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

springer99

On a Makarov, if you think that dry-firing it will lighten the trigger pull, all that's probably happening is that your trigger finger is getting stronger from the exercise.;)

kozak6

I picked up a heavily used Russian commercial Mak a while back.

Even well broken in, the double action trigger is still creepy and stagey.

I suspect it's the nature of the beast.

Wolff spring kit is in order.

Your link is broken, but this is one of the few springs Wolff doesn't make.

It's actually a forked flat spring that also functions as the trigger return spring and magazine release. It greatly simplifies the pistol but makes it tricky to tune.

Ibmikey

The best "pulls" you can do with a Mak is with many magazines of ammo making a large pile of brass. Improves the smoothness of the weapon and is fun.

carguychris

<Activate Ivan the Stereotypically Russian Drill Sergeant voice>

"Bah! Red Army soldier not need light trigger to defend motherland! Light trigger for lazy bourgeois capitalist dogs! Russian hands must be STRONG! You run 10 kilometers through freezing mud with backpack, then you exercise hands!"

Sorry, couldn't help myself. ;):D

Willie D

Makarov DA pulls never get better. It's more of a matter of leverage than springs. It's like trying to pick up an 8 foot 2x4 one handed by grabbing the end.

Also the trigger is more like a ball joint than a pinned hinge so you aren't getting any precision there (and it seems like excessive wear could be detrimental there).