Makarov Grips

Is there anyone making wood aftermarket grips for the Mak ? Something good looking ? I have one set of Pierce grips on my Russian. I need a set of grips for the Bulgarian when it comes back from BEAST. I would like something different, but I don't know what is out there.

makarov

Don't have any on my Mak yet, but Karl Bloss at makarov.com sells some. He has been on the net forever. I bought some mags from him before he even had a website. Anyone still post to usenet group rec.guns? Great guy to do business with.

I thought I had made a complete study of Makarov.com but I obviously missed the Walnut grips. They look like they will do fine. Actually, I think I will put those on my Russian and put the Pearce grips on my Bulgarian. I am seriously thinking about sending my Russian in to have it hard chromed. Those Walnut grips would provide a nice contrast to the hard chrome.

oweno

I've tried out the "mak-a-wrap" grips from Karl at makarov.com but for some odd reason, I, like denfoote, like the issue grips better. They're funky looking and seem to fit my hand better.

I'll be the first to admit, though, that the cushioning of the aftermarket grips is nice...expecially with those hot white-box Russian rounds.

Owen

The factory grips don't seem to fit my hands at all. The thumb rest is in the wrong place for me. It just doesn't feel right at all. I second the comment about over tightening the grips. I did that on my first pair of Pearce grips; the screw pulled through the grip and from there on wouldn't secure the grip. I ended up buying a different pair. I think the Walnut grips pictured on Makarov.com will be just what the doctor ordered unless someone has some other ideas.

oweno

Oh, I didn't know that your grips had that thumbrest. Mine are plain, original military issue grips - brownish-reddish plastic with the star on each side and a steel loop for a lanyard.

I wouldn't like a thumbrest either.

Owen

oweno

Triple Four,

The ones I've got are the 'Red Star' grips, see makarov.com just above the picture of the thumbrest grips.

Owen

wolfz

I won't absolutely swear to it, but I think Karl, at Makarov.com has wood grips only for the CZ52 (a sweet heart of a gun!), but just pierce and Maka-wraps for aftermarket on the Makarov. He has some "originals" too on ocasion.

joebogey

I have a set of walnut grips on a Bulgarian that I had nickled. They really set the whole thing off. A very nice touch. The only thing I have found about the walnut grips, at least with mine, I had to tighten a little more than usual to make them solid.

Halo

Has anyone else found that the margins of the grip screw access hole in the Pearce grips digs into the palm of your hand? Maybe it's because I just put these grips on and they haven't "worn" yet, but right now it is slightly irritating. I may chamfer it a bit with a knife.