MAK ACCURACY ? FANTASTIC!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TANTOR

On Sunday I carried my new Mak 9x18( Russian issue) to the range to test it for the first time! Accuracy and reliability was outstanding!
I've used military surplus Russian ammo round ball, hand held, 15 yards 1 1/8"groups or less ( depending on my old shaking hands...) What a wonderful piece! and a bargain too!! Did you experienced the same?
Thanks

glockdoc

I think Mak accuracy is a bit of a crapshoot. My East German Mak is relatively inaccurate. Part of it may be me but part of it is definately the Mak. The good news is that, in over 1000 rounds, it's only significant malfunctions have been two misfires. (Sometimes the slide has not locked back on an empty mag but that isn't too big a deal and may be magazine related.) It's never failed to feed or eject and I've shot a variety of ball ammo and hollowpoints. It's also got a good, smooth double-action trigger that I can use pretty effectively. It may not be as accurate as some other Maks out there but it was still a bargain at $200, and now they are even cheaper.

Stephen A. Camp

Staff In Memoriam
Hello, Tantor. I recently bought a new commercial Bulgarian and added the "Beast Enterprises" slide w/Novak Sights such that I can see the sights. I just got in from the range and at 10 yards, groups with Russian ball as well as Fiochhi ball ran about the size of a nickle! No malfunctions. For the money, I don't think that the little Maks can be beaten.
Best.

TANTOR

glockdoc/Stephen:
Thanks for your responses, I will "enhace" my Mak with the addition of one of the "Beast Enterprises" slide w/Novak Sights . For shure, besides of the look, it will be ( and a must) an improvement over those "hard to see" factory sights. Can you tell me Stephen whre to buy them?
Thanks again

Stephen A. Camp

Staff In Memoriam
Hello. Go to http://www.makarov.com and you'll see the links to Beast Enterprises. If it's not too much problem and you don't mind, please let them know that in a way, I "sent" you. The reason is that they did me a very fine service when they could've ignored my request and I'd like them to know that I'm trying to repay by advertising their grand product by truthfully telling what I've seen. Best and thanks.

hipwr40

Stephen, how is the fit/finish on the Beast Ent. slide w/ Novak sights? Do they just start w/ a Bulgie slide and dovetail in the sights and reblue? How is the refinish job compared with the original? I like the idea of being able to see the sights, but spending more on the slide than the gun cost in the first place.....has me thinking of putting some high visibility paint on the front sight.

Stephen A. Camp

Staff In Memoriam
Hello. The Beast Slide is a new, unused Bulgarian commercial slide. It has "Beast Enterprises" attractively stamped on the side of the slide and that's the only marking. The finish is an evenly applied bead blast or matte blue. The Novak sights are the three dot version and the sights are "professionally" installed in that they are are straight with cuts properly made in the slide. Just for grins, I miked the height of the original factory sights and divided the front sight's height measurement into the rear sight's; the figure is 2.4. Did the same on the Beast's sights and came up with 2.387! Today at the range, I tried the "conversion" for the first time. Sight elevation was dead on at 10 and 15 yards and my groups shrank to about the size of a nickle since I could see the sights! The rear sight was easy to move just a hair to the right to center the group; it's now loctited into place. Putting the parts from your original slide into the Beast Slide is not hard and instructions are at http://www.makarov.com. I understand your reluctance to spend the extra money on the mak, but in my case, I'm very glad that I did. Best.

Hays

Makarov Recoil

I've never shot one of these and was wondering what the recoil was like. How does it compare to a comparably sized 9X19? I have a friend that wants a small gun for his wife, but she is extremely recoil sensitive. Cost is also an issue, so the Mak fits his price range.

Stephen A. Camp

Staff In Memoriam
Hello sir. Felt recoil is extremely subjective, but straight blowback pistols like the Mak do tend to feel "snappier" than locked breech autos like the 9mms. However, you also have to consider weight of weapon and how "hot" the ammunition is. I find the Mak to recoil like a Plus P .380 and don't find the recoil bad at all. I also have a Kahr K9 and with Plus P 9mm, I don't note that it kicks much more than the Mak! This is just my observations and others can feel differently. In any event, the Mak's recoil is not bad for what you get ballistically and the price is right. It would sure be great if your wife could fire some of the smaller nines as well as the Mak and see for herself if at all possible. Best.

Gino

Hays,

I am recoil sensitive and I think the Mak has pretty stout recoil. It might not be the best lady's gun IMHO.

Dave R

FWIW, I own a PPK clone in .380, and the recoil from that feels about the same as my Hi-Power. Less muzzle flip, same "impulse". I expect a Mak would be about the same. The cartridge has a hair more power, but the gun is a hair heavier to offset the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.