Mak-90 problem...

Kalindras

I don't know if this the appropriate place to post this, so Mods, if I've erred, please feel free to move me...thanks!

I have a Mak-90. That dirty little confession off my chest, I'll go one further. I like to shoot it. It's a noisy, rough, cheap POS, stamped receiver cover, thumbhole-log stock and all. All of that notwithstanding, though, I do have a teensy problem with it. Several owners ago, someone managed to secure (prang, spot-weld, I dunno what) the front post all the way at the bottom of its travel, and ALL THE WAY TO THE RIGHT. I've had the rifle for about three or four years, and I've yet to find any way to fix it. I've broken two sight adjustment tools (tried to torque 'em, and they just shattered) on this beast. I've taken it to three gunsmiths, each of whom informed me that they, "...Won't work on trash-rifles. For what I could fix that for, you'd be better to go buy another one."

So, while I can compensate for its little problem (at 100 yards, if I aim at the lower right corner of the paper, I can put my shots in the bull), it does bother me. Am I just doomed to have a crippled baby? Or is there someone out there that can suggest some way to fix it? I can't see any evidence of soldering or welding (seriously--I've looked for it!), I don't see any rust, and I've tried oil/WD-40/break-free/Gunscrubber/sacrificing a chicken over it...nothing! I'd appreciate anyone who can point me in a direction to get it fixed, or, failing that, someone who can suggest a means by which to affordably replace that front post.

TIA,

Kal

Destructo6

No reason to apologize for MAK ownership.

It kinda sounds like it's corroded in place. Perhaps he went shootin in the rain and didn't get all of the water out.

You might try some heat, like a propane torch. Heat and tap.

Failing that, you may be able to replace the front sight assembly yourself. You might contact Tapco or one of the other usual suspects for a new MAK front sight. Other makes may be usable with some rework. Federal Arms Corp has Romanian front sight assemblies for $14.35 (pn AK022).

You know, Tapco sells an entire MAK-90 front end (trunion to muzzle) for $70. A front sight can't be too expensive, right?

Finally a work around might be an adjustable rear sight. Again, Tapco has a polymer version for $12.

PS Ditch that ugly butthole stock and buy a KVAR stock set & fire control parts. You'll have to fit the stock set, with the exception fo the P-grip, onto a Chinese gun, but the result is worth the time and effort.

Kalindras

Oh, I know...

Hey, Destructo6,

*I* know it's an okay piece (heck I feel like anything that's safe and more accurate than I am is an okay piece), but most everyone I know who's into guns sorta looks down their nose at the Mak-90. I don't know why...maybe it's the Chinese origin?

Anyway...I'll try the heat thing. Is there any danger of warping the sight? Also, I've looked at the sight, but it's not obvious to me how you might remove it to replace it. I've guessed that there must be aftermarket parts for it, but I wasn't aware if it was smithing job or not. Should it unscrew, or are there pins/screws/magic pixies holding it on?

As far as the stock, I actually like my log! I have big ol' gorilla mitts, and it fits me pretty well. I actually have one of the composite stock/foreend sets that I got with the rifle, but it seems exceptionally cheesy to me, compared to the wood. So, for now at least, I think I'll leave it. I'll torch the sight this weekend, if I don't sell it down at the gunshow, and let y'all know how it goes.

Kal

M700

Have you tried soaking the whole front site in CLP or some other penetrating oil over night? Were you using the cheapo site tools like the ones from Tapco? They are known for breaking. If so....try the B-Square AK sight tool. Its ALOT stronger and much nicer.

Near the bottom of the page:
http://www.reliablehost.com/bsquare/scopetools.html

Good Luck

P.S.- Don't let the AK haters get you down. They don't know how much fun it really is :p

Dave R

If it gets down to it, you probably CAN replace the front sight assembly yourself. There are several/many at AK-47.net who have done it, and can give you some basic instructions. See Steel's post for the URL/address.

But I'll bet one of the other options listed here will fix it for you.

With heat, there is no danger of warpage if you don't get it TOO hot. No need to get it red hot. A bit too hot to touch is probably about right. That won't hurt the metal.

Steve Smith

First, try soaking it for several days with Liquid Wrench or a similar PENETRATING oil. Then try it again.

If that doesn't work, wrap a wet towel (that you don't like) around the barrel and everything that you don't want to get a lot of heat, and then heat the part with the torch. Beware, the oil may catch fire so you might have to let it burn out and go again.

swatman

Those "trashy" MAK -90's are usually a hell of alot more reliable under adverse conditions than thos e"pretty" M-4's

knova

Gunsmith??

A better idea than dumping your butthole stock is dumping that anus of a gunsmith you seem to have found!!