Mak-90 Magazine Question

Lurch37

Ok so this is prolly a silly question but here goes. I have a Mak-90 that I bought in the late 80's or early 90's and I would like to buy a few extra 30 round magazines for it. What brand or style of mag works best in these or do they all interchange somewhat like AR stuff does.

Thanks

CGSteve8718

Any milsurp combloc steel or synthetic mags will work in it. Avoid US made AK magazines (unless you have to for 922r reasons).

The usual online places will have them for cheap (AIM, CDNN, Centerfire, Copes, etc.)

I don't know if cosmetics are important to you, since they are milsurp, some will be used (light rusting, scratches, etc.), some will be unissued (still in cosmoline). Some will be VERY used, there have been confirmed reports of mags that have dried blood on them. You should ask around prior to purchasing.

JBriggs

I have yet to find an AK mag that won't work in my MAk-90. I got a bunch a while ago from the Sportsmans Guide website for about 20 each. If you can find Yugoslavian mags, get them. Some have last shot hold open and are generally better quality than the Bulgarian and Polish mags.

CGSteve8718

The Yugoslavian bolt hold open mag feature, or any other magazine (Chinese made some too) or after market followers that enable this, while can be useful, is kind of pointless in the AK platform.

If the rifle itself was designed to lock the bolt to the rear after last shot fired like the AR 15 design, and the bcg doesn't slam forward after mag removal, and you don't have to slingshot it to chamber from a reloaded mag, then that would be great.

JBriggs, $20 for standard milsurp steel AK mags is a ripoff. CDNN has some for $12 now. $9 for used but still in fully functional condition. No steel AK mag should costs $20 or more unless it is postively IDed as being collectible (certain arsenal stamps, country of origin, etc.)