Mainspring for 1911? Where can I buy this?

Gahaha

Sorry, I'm new to 1911s and in the manual for my Kimber it asks that I change the mainspring every 5,000 rounds. Anyhow I looked on their website and Wilson's but can't find any. Any thoughts?

mavracer

Check out Wolff springs. A couple thing to note are you sure it says mainspring and not recoil spring also changing the spring is arguably not necessary at 5000 round intervals on a full size 1911 maybe on a compact, but if you want to thats fine they're cheap.

thedudeabides

Most 1911 service manuals, including Wilson's spring schedule, list the mainspring as something that will probably last the lifetime of the gun and should only be changed if malfunctions start to occur.

Nakanokalronin

You must have a Compact or Ultra carry model. Their manuals do say to change the mainspring every 5,000rds. It's probably not necessary, but smaller guns do require more frequent spring changes so if you want to just follow the manual, it won't hurt anything to change it out.

If it's an Ultra Carry or Compact, then the mainspring is the same as a Colt Officer mainspring which is rated at 23lbs. Wolff, Brownells, Midway USA and a few dozen other online sites will carry it.

AK103K

If you have an Ultra Carry, Id stock up on recoil springs, or if you have the bucks, the RSA's, and get used to changing them out. The RSA's are less work and easier on the fingers, but expensive.

My Ultra Carry required constant RSA changes, and even then, was never reliable. I think they are overly optimistic about the numbers on those spring changes. Im also thinking that 1800 rounds might be a misprint, and even 800 rounds is pushing it.

Ive owned somewhere around 40 1911's over the years, and never once changed out a mainspring in any of them. Many of them, had a lot more than 5000 rounds through them too.

Rinspeed

Last I knew when you order a recoil spring from Wolff they come with a mainspring. I agree with others though that the mainspring should be good for quite a few more rounds before needing changed.

thedudeabides

Last I knew when you order a recoil spring from Wolff they come with a mainspring. I agree with others though that the mainspring should be good for quite a few more rounds before needing changed.

No, that's their high power firing pin spring.

You should probably change your FP spring every time you change your recoil spring--assuming you do so every 4000-5000 rounds.