Maine is fast!

I'm a Vietnam veteran and a senior citizen now. When I was a child, my parents took us to spend my father's 2-week summer vacation at my grandparents' house in Maine. One of my favorite places used to be Acadia National Park, and I've been contemplating a trip "downeast" to see what the park is like today. Maine went to permitless carry, but you need a Maine permit to carry within the park. So ...

Not certain I'll be able to afford the trip but, to be prepared, I decided to ante up the 60 bucks and send away for the Maine carry permit. First issue was that they require a copy of a birth certificate. Mine disappeared years ago, and getting a replacement takes time (I don't live in my state of birth). So I called, and very nice lady with a delightful Maine accent assured me that a passport would be acceptable. Done.

The web site says to allow four to six weeks. My check was made out on May 14, which means I probably mailed it on the 15th or 16th. My Maine permit arrived in the mail today. Heck, it took me longer to fill out their six-page application form than it took them to process it.

I guess Maine wants to attract tourists. That's a novel idea -- my current state of residence is trying to balance the budget by CUTTING services that directly affect tourists ... which will result in driving tourists to neighboring states who will be happy to take better care of them.

Sheesh. Good for Maine.

FrankenMauser

Good for them.

Around here, 95% of the tourists are Asians on 'bucket list' vacations to visit the United States' National Parks (I'm a couple hours from Yellowstone, just off I-15, at a major hotel stop that's a "perfect" 8 hours from Las Vegas), or Californians on their way to the Tetons or Yellowstone.

The Asians, we welcome with open arms, since they're friendly, don't understand a word we're saying (and vise-versa), and they love taking pictures of random "American" crap (like old cars, trucks, vans, 'big' cars, grocery stores, fast food joints, and "cowboys" carrying guns [been there myself - it's comical]).

The Californians... Generally just as bad here as they are when confined to their own state. :rolleyes:

Were we in a similar situation of needing to issue non-resident carry permits, I don't think there would be many applicants ... nor much expedience in approving those applicants.

Mainah

Glad to read that we're doing something right. And despite all of the panicked predictions about constitutional carry our murder rate went down after it passed.

Kreyzhorse

That is a fantastic idea. Never been to Maine but it is on my list. Nice to see their permit turn around was short.

Acadia isn't spectacular in the way parks such as Yosemite, Yellowstone, and the Grand Canyon are, but it's still my favorite of all the national parks I've visited. (That may, of course, be the association with happy times with my grandparents.) Go there in the Fall, after the tourist crush has ended, and the prices are a bit lower (albeit some of the stores in Bar Harbor close for the winter around mid- to late October), and it's much easier to get around. Plus, in the Fall and Winter, the summit of Cadillac Mountain is the first place in the United States to see the sunrise.

I hope I can make it back this year.

Mainah

I lived in Bar Harbor for four years, Acadia is amazing especially if you get off the park loop road and hike. Mount Desert Island is a very special place. Just remember that you're dealing with two sets of cc laws on the island.

Mainah said:
Just remember that you're dealing with two sets of cc laws on the island.
??? What two sets?

In general, as I understand it, the National Park Service defers to the laws in the state where the park is located, which means Maine law applies. And Maine's permitless carry law specifies that carry is prohibited in state parks and in Acadia National park unless you have a Maine permit.

What other set of laws apply? Are you referring to the federal 18 U.S. Code § 930? That's the one that prohibits carrying firearms in "federal facilities," which the law defines as "The term 'Federal facility' means a building or part thereof owned or leased by the Federal Government, where Federal employees are regularly present for the purpose of performing their official duties." So that basically means leave your gun in the car if you go into the park headquarters or visitors center building. The concession shops at the top of Cadillac Mountain and near Sand Beach, as far as I know, are run by a private concessionaire, so the employees aren't federal employees. If there's any doubt -- leave the gun in the car there, too.

Mainah

I'm sorry, that was poor wording on my part. I believe that you have accurately described current law. Especially as it relates to out of state visitors.