Mailing a pistol...

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
I have been offered a free to me lorcin .380. It is nothin special and was just offered to provide something JIC.
neither I nor the owner want to jump through any hoops sending it. i can't justify 500 bucks in gas to go get it.
Can he break it down into 2 or more mailing packages and be a legal package?
For instance frame in one box than barrel and slide in another or even 3 boxes?
Thanks in advance... BTW we are both in florida.
Brent

GLP Standard

A. When does it cost $500 in gas to drive ANYWHERE from ANYWHERE in Florida? The state isnt THAT big.

B. Why not go through an FFL dealer? Its much safer on your part if you don't know the guy. The weapon could have been used in a shooting, robbery, or could just be stolen. Better to have some documentation that you purchased it legally from him.

C. Why is the weapon free? Seems fishy to me. This goes back to point B. Do you know this guy personally?

D. Im not sure if you can ship a handgun in separate parts. I think the deal is, in most states atleast (yours may be different) that you can send handgun PARTS in the mail, not a complete handgun. In otherwords, if you field strip the weapon, and send the lower receiver and slide/barrel separate, you should be fine. But why take a chance like I said (point B)?

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
When gas is 3.10 per gallon and your 4X4 gets 10 MPG it don't take long... I am 600+/- miles from my friend. Florida is a VERY long state! Do a mapquest for pensacola to key west to see how long!

The gun had the serial numbers run on this pistol he got for free. He would like to see me get it. He is a friend of mine for 3 years! The gun was replaced when he decided to CC, I was one voice telling him to look at bigger better guns. He went with a real nice .40cal. I would rather have this gun not known to be mine by ATF. While many do not know we have to "register" fireatrms, we actually do register them when we go thru the paperwork. My local gunshop would add 25-30 bucks to the shipping. They get to sell me a replacement mag & ammo that is enough.
Since I do trust this guy and am thankful he is willing to give it to me for SD at the same price he paid I just want to make it a legal shipment. I thought we could send receive in parts.
Brent

Jim Watson

The receiver with serial number is legally equal to a complete firearm.
The USPS will not mail a handgun for an American Commoner.

Technically, he would be legal to send you the gun by common carrier within the same state. But the common carriers (UPS and FedEx) will not accept a gun for shipment from one American Commoner to another, even where legal.

I understand you not wanting to pay an FFL to handle a gun that is free to you and was originally cheap; but I know of no legal way to get it across the state.

BerettaCougar

When gas is 3.10 per gallon and your 4X4 gets 10 MPG it don't take long... I am 600+/- miles from my friend. Florida is a VERY long state! Do a mapquest for pensacola to key west to see how long!

The gun had the serial numbers run on this pistol he got for free. He would like to see me get it. He is a friend of mine for 3 years! The gun was replaced when he decided to CC, I was one voice telling him to look at bigger better guns. He went with a real nice .40cal. I would rather have this gun not known to be mine by ATF. While many do not know we have to "register" fireatrms, we actually do register them when we go thru the paperwork. My local gunshop would add 25-30 bucks to the shipping. They get to sell me a replacement mag & ammo that is enough.
Since I do trust this guy and am thankful he is willing to give it to me for SD at the same price he paid I just want to make it a legal shipment. I thought we could send receive in parts.
Brent

Don't be cheap when your freedom is at stake.
Pay for the FFL.

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
BC, it is not cheap... it is Freedom... I don't think I want my handgun "registered" with ATF... I prefer to keep this unregistered gun that way!
Brent

IZinterrogator

If you do not want it recorded on an ATF form, you have no choice but to make the drive. I doubt you could find any sort of courier service that would ship it for you. The usual suspects (USPS, UPS, FedEX) won't. Maybe you could meet halfway. Maybe you could rent a budget rent-a-car that gets 40 mpg.

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
What about a prepacked set of boxes? where do you have to declare "gunframe"?
I never been asked when mailing USPS what is inside. I reckon we would want to go thru a commercial service like UPS...
Brent

DPris

Member Emeritus
It would be illegal to mail that pistol, or its frame, under the circumstances you're describing.
It's always up to the individual to determine how much & how often he or she wishes to gamble in life.
That's one area where I don't, it simply is not worth the risk to me.
You decide for yourself.
Denis

DPris

Member Emeritus
Rifle or shotgun anywhere (as far as the feds care) for repair, handgun dealer to dealer.
Denis

BerettaCougar

Hey man you're making a really stupid mistake.

Either drive there to pick it up, or mail it. If your package just so happens to get made you can face punishment you probably were not looking for.

GLP Standard

I say whatever he wants to do, let him do it. Not to be rude, but you came on here asking for advice, and you're arguing with the advice we're giving you, just because you don't like what you hear. Like it or not, its fact. Its not worth the risk to me to save an extra 20 bucks, and NOT have it registered with the ATF. Also, can I ask why you're so hesitant to have it registered to your person? If you plan to use it for LEGAL activities only, you wont have a problem.

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
Not arguing... just hoping it wasn't illegal. I ain't going to jail over a saturday night special. i may just wait for a new revolver or auto (if my hand improves enough) instead.
Brent

CraigC

It is not legal for a non-dealer to ship a handgun (or handgun receiver) through the mail. However, it IS legal for you to ship it by common carrier within your own state. Just like a face to face sale, it does not require an FFL. Of all the times I shipped pistols to gunsmiths, UPS never asked me for proof that it was going to an FFL holder. For it is none of their business and it is law enforced by the ATF. Not part of UPS policy.

The answers to questions like this can be found in the ATF's FAQ.

http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/faq/