Mailbox bomber

Azrael256

I must be confused about something here. I was always under the impression that committing a crime involving a mailbox was under federal juristidiction, but I'm watching the news, and they're saying that he's being arraigned on state charges. Also, didn't he cross a number of state lines to do this, and wasn't the FBI instrumental in his apprehension?

They may be able to get him on a whole slate of state and Federal charges.

You'd think, though, that the Feds would assert preeminence on charges because several postal employees were injured and it involved explosives.

Jim March

In the early stages of something like this, it's not uncommon to just rush some sort of charges on him to make sure he don't go nowhere, and then take a few days sorting out exactly how they're going to deal with his butt.

It probably will go Fed charges, which is fine by me in this case, meanwhile they needed something quick to hold him with. No biggie.

TheBluesMan

Moderator Emeritus
It was announced this afternoon that he is now being arraigned on Federal charges.

BTW - What percentage of this story do you believe thus far...

"Anti-government literature???" I think the Branch Davidians has some of that too... :(

Christopher II

The bomber obviously missed some medication.

But, as a co-worker pointed out, where does a 21-year-old art student learn to build bombs with electrical anti-handling devices? More to the point, how does he manage to build twenty-some of them without scoring an own goal?

Ah, it's probably nothing...

- chris

Azrael256

I think the characterization of his writing is amusing. One of the (many) reasons I like Fox news is their posting of the text of the letter on their website. All of these experts are telling us that he "may have mental problems". I needed somebody with a degree in psychology to tell me that... Also, the whole "anti-government" thing... It's really just a personal opinion, but I didn't see this as being all that "anti-government". Let me state that I think his argument is based more in his dimentia than reality, and that he needs to be tossed in the slammer, however, his basic message about government opression is sound. I see his methods as criminal, however, I usually view "anti-government" as either a direct action against the government or sedition, and I really don't see any of that here. Just my thoughts, and I'll return the soapbox by 5PM.