Magnus bullets?

Cascade1911

I bought 1000 148 gr BBWC Magnus #502 back about 5 years ago from Mid-South. Before that I always got my bullets from Precision Components but he went out of business. So I finished up the last of the Precision Components vintage and opened the Magnus. Lube is all over the place, loads my seating die up in less than 50 rounds so I have to keep adjusting it, bevel base is not uniform. Is this normal for Magnus or did I just get lucky? They certainly are not the cheapest.

Lube spread might mean the box got too warm in shipping. I did buy a box of their .45 ACP SWC's from Midsouth once. They're gone, so they must have fired OK. But I don't recall them being clean looking like Laser Cast and some others I've had in the past.

zxcvbob

I've bought thousands of Magnus bullets (not a lot of thousands, maybe 4 or 5) from Midsouth and never had a problem. But it's been a couple of years.

Cascade1911

Lube spread might mean the box got too warm in shipping.

To tell the truth I can't remember what time of year I got these. Just said OMG, I'm down to my last several thousand DEWC's and Fred is out of Biz! So I got the Magnus and never looked at them.

wogpotter

I bought a box of 500 of these (.357 158 Gr semi wad-cutters) & had exactly 2 rounds with the green wax? lube at the tip, not in the lube groove.
Basically I'm very satisfied with them & would buy more in a heartbeat.

Cascade1911,

I don't know if you cast, but I bought the Lee 6-cavity tumble lube wacutter mold for .38 a few years ago. Fired as-cast in my Smith K-frame they immediately cut groups off the bags in half over commercial match ammo (HBWC) and about 30% over the best DEWC's I could find to buy. It doesn't take long to get an afternoon's shooting cast with 6 cavities.

zxcvbob

I don't know if you cast, but I bought the Lee 6-cavity tumble lube wacutter mold for .38 a few years ago. Fired as-cast in my Smith K-frame they immediately cut groups off the bags in half over commercial match ammo (HBWC) and about 30% over the best DEWC's I could find to buy. It doesn't take long to get an afternoon's shooting cast with 6 cavities.
I have that mold too and really like it. I cast the bullets using soft range scrap lead, and lube with a mixture of Minwax paste wax and Lee Liquid Alox, without sizing the bullets. The Minwax eliminated the stickiness, and it's cheaper than Alox.

I still have a bunch of commercial DEWC's; I load them hot in .357 Magnums (7.0 grains of WSF powder, haven't using tried Power Pistol yet)

Cascade1911

Yeah, been thinking of turning to bullet casting... (like I need another efn hobby....) Need to see about the availability of wheel weights. Whats the going rate for wheel weights in the north east?