magnum reciever 870

sawyerrog

whats the difference between a 870 mag reciever and non mag reciever tried looking back on threads is there such thing as a non magnum 870 reciever thanks

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
Lots of older 870s are 2 3/4" guns. Trap models still are.

Magnum receiver have a serial number with an M suffix. 2 3/4" 12 gauge receivers end with a V.

Dfariswheel

Here's the differences between a Magnum and non-Magnum 870 receiver.

The Magnum receiver has:

1. The word "Magnum" stamped on the receiver.

2. The serial number ends with the letter "M".

3. The Magnum has a longer ejector assembly.

A non-Magnum receiver can be converted to shoot 3" Magnum ammo by having a gunsmith install a Magnum ejector in the receiver.
You would also need a barrel with a 3" chamber.

Edward429451

I have a 3" police trade in barrel on my older 2-3/4" WM. Are you saying that all I have to do to fire 3" shells is to install a magnum length ejector, and thats it? I thought the ejection port was longer in the mag receivers, so it couldn't be done without receiver modification.

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
The port is longer in the Supermag, Ed. That on 3" and 2 3/4" receivers is the same length.

Switching the ejector will make it a 3" gun when used with a 3" barrel.

The downside, it's a gunsmith job and the receiver needs refinishing after. Costs alsmot as much as a used 3" 870.

9mmMike

There is a Remington smith near Reading PA who made a tool to trim the rivets just enough to R&R an ejector. He did this for a gun that I converted to 3" and it did not require refinishing.
Mike

Edward429451

So thats the deal eh? Hmm.

9mmmike, how much did that cost you?

I prolly wont do it, just curious. It's not like the 2-3/4 is wimpy or anything like that.

Three extra 00's for a drop in part was a nice thought for about 5 mins though.:D

9mmMike

I do not recall the price but it was cheap. I cannot find the receipt but his contact info is:

Michael D. Fix Gunshop Inc.
334 Mount Penn Rd.
Reading, PA 19607-9651
610 775 2067

He is an authorized Remington guy and I got his name from the Remington Web page.