Magnum caps

TruthTellers

For the first time this weekend I shot a single shot muzzeloading pistol, a Lyman Plains pistol in .54 caliber. The only tin of #11 caps I had was CCI Magnums, so I used it and it worked fine. My question is is there anything wrong with using magnum percussion caps over standard caps? What guns would require magnum caps over a non magnum?

Oliver Sudden

Yes, the magnum caps are fine and if you use substitute powder or have a poorly designed or made breech then they maybe required.

Pahoo

The ML will let you know what it needs

My question is is there anything wrong with using magnum percussion caps over standard caps? What guns would require magnum caps over a non magnum?
As previously replied, there is nothing wrong with using magnums but "if" you have a choice between the slandered, use the standard and save the magnums for resolving other ignition problems. Can't be specific on which M/Ls might present ignition problems but it's mostly due to your shot-string. I would add that I have never had the need to use a magnum primer. .... :confused:

MML's generally preset ignition problems. Regarless of the MML I'm using, if I can get "consistant" ignition with a stardard cap then that choice is prefered. ... :rolleyes:

Be Safe !!!

Some folks prime with a few grains of 4F and then dump the synthetic on top. That seems to help if you don't have magnum caps.