Magnum action

ligonierbill

You have a "magnum" length action with a bolt face sized for the 375 H&H family of cartridges. You must build a hunting rifle. What round will your chamber? Why?

Scorch

I guess it would depend on what I was planing on hunting. But what's wrong with 375 H&H? Or 7 STW? Or 8mm Rem Mag? Actions that long are hard to come by.

stagpanther

Question covers a lot of territory depending on the cartridge and intended game--is this exclusive of unbelted cases?

ligonierbill

Rules of the question: None. What to hunt? Whatever strikes your fancy. OK, it must walk on land. Case? Anything within spitting distance of a 0.532 bolt face. Practicality? Fuhgetaboutit.

Last edited:

stagpanther

I happen to know that you already hunt Africa on occasion, so I'm guessing that big 5 potential is at least part of your picture. I do have a target rifle built on the 375 H&H case (aforementioned 7mmSTW), but in general that class of case is going to exact a toll on the shooter over a prolonged shooting session. I'm not a big 5 hunter--but I still shoot those guns because, well, they're fun in their own way.:) My favorite big 5 game cartridge I've fired, only because I was so impressed by it's power and accuracy, is the 416 Weatherby (though I've never shot actual game with it). If I were looking for a general use magnum that gives me both bench long range entertainment as well as the ability to drop most anything depending on careful cartridge selection--that's easy, hands down the .338 Lapua magnum. OK, I know it's a little bit beyond spitting distance of the "regular" magnum bolt face and not an H&H spawn, but is still well worth consideration.

Then there are the exotics like the cheytacs. Probably the most impractical rifle I would ever buy for where I live, but if I had the dough to buy one and feed the habit, yup, I'd do it.:)

Last edited:

Paul B.

Some companies class a 30-06 length action as a "magnum" action because the chamber rounds like the 7MM Rem. Mag., .300 Win. Mag. .338 Win. Mag. and .458 Win. Mag. To run something in the .375 H&H class requires opening up the action and magazine to accommodate the longer cartridge. There are a few true magnum actions like one made by Mauser and the Brevex. The Remington M700 qualifies as the action and magazine are long enough as is. Take an M700 in 30-06 and the magazine will take a .375 H&H cartridge without a burp. People like short action because the bolt throw is a half inch less yet never complain about the .375 H&H length throw of that rifle in 30-06.

If someone gave me a classic magnum Mauser action, I'd run to my gunsmith and have a nice classic rifle in .375 H&H and never look back.
Paul B.

stagpanther

What do you folks think of the RUMs?
I've shot a couple of them and like them, I think their reputation for excessive recoil is exaggerated compared to the reality of shooting them, IMO anyway. Also you get a nice beltless case. They do have a reputation for over-bore barrel burning, at least in the smaller calibers, but the .338 looks like a nice one (though I would go .338 LM over that if I was looking at .338):)

Last edited:

44 AMP

Staff
Since I already have a .375 H&H (Ruger No.1) and a few hundred brass, I think that would be the best choice for me, and best utilization of its length, if I w were given a magnum length action.

using any round that will fit in the "standard" length action simply wastes the space the magnum length action has which would be needed with a longer cartridge.

And it takes advantage of components I already have. A .458 Win would also do that, but one doesn't need a magnum length action for that. My .458 is a 1909 Argentine mauser action.

ligonierbill

OK, if I get to the magnum build, it will be a 338 RUM. To address other suggestions, I have given much thought to the 7mm STW. But it's too much powder down a small pipe. I already have 2 8mm Mags, and I have a 30 Super on the way. The 458 Lott has intrigued me for some time, but I've already made my choice for a dangerous game gun, 416 Remington Magnum. That's plenty. Same reason not to go to 375 H&H. The 416 fills that role. I am a big fan of the 338 bore. That's what I took to Namibia, and it served me well. A bit more powder under those big bullets sounds like fun. Continued comments are welcome.

big al hunter

They are not particularly efficient in regards to powder burned for velocity achieved. Buy not many cartridges that need a magnum length action will be. They are however good for long range hunting.

If I had a magnum action to build anything I wanted for a hunting rifle........338 Lapua Mag or 375 H&H. But I won't likely go to Africa, so no point arming myself for the big 5. I may spend some time in Alaska chasing big bears. But I want to get close, because hunting is about the stalk, not the shot from afar. Because I am familiar with the 30-06, and the 375 has nearly the same trajectory, that would most likely be my choice.

Let us know what you choose.

stagpanther

One last word in favor of the .338 LM over the .338 RUM; in the last few years several manufacturers have come out with ultra-high BC bullets in .338 in the 275 to over 300+ gr weight range--the LM handles them with aplomb and shines--I'm not sure the same can be said for the RUM.

stagpanther

I've hand-loaded for some of the "biggies"--I know people talk about downloading the power for some of them but in general I think you need to be real cautious about getting significantly below max capacity as strange and dangerous hangfires can result. Just something to think about.;)

Scorch

Take an M700 in 30-06 and the magazine will take a .375 H&H cartridge without a burp.
No, no it won't. The Remington 700 long action is the same length for any cartridge, but the magazine box and its cutout in the bottom of the action are drastically different. I have built many, many Remington 700s in cartridges ranging from 17 Fireball to 458 Lott, and no, they are not the same. The 375 H&H is about 1/2" longer than a 30-06. May not sound like a lot, but that is about the difference between a 308 and a 30-06. A Magnum-length action refers to an action that will accept 375 H&H, 404 Jeffreys, or even 416 Rigby and similar size cartridges, and the magazine box length is 3.9"-4.1". 30-06-length actions typically have magazine boxes about 3.7" long and are referred to as "standard length" actions, even though they will accept what they called "short magnums" back in the 1960s because Winchester introduced the 2.5" magnum case (458, 338, 264 Win Mags).
Excellent cartridges. Only problem is support in the form of ammo from Remington. One of my faves is the 7mm RUM, shoots as flat as a string. It will launch a 190 gr bullet at 3200 fps, just in case you want to knock something down waaaaaay over there. It will launch a 150 grainer at about 3,600 fps. One of my customers sings the praises of the 338 RUM (now that I tamed it for him by adding a brake), it will take an eland right off its feet. And you don't have to deal with a belt! And there are wildcats like the 6.5/300 RUM for shooting a mile or more, and the 375 RUM if you want to knock down toothy critters. So yes to the RUMs!

ligonierbill

Thanks for the input. Next question: Would you stock this rifle with a modern composite or go with some nice wood? Remember, practicality is a lesser virtue. If composite, what would you buy? For wood, I already know. Richards Microfit high grade myrtle. Yes, crossbolts installed, and no, no stain (I'm serving penance for staining a decent piece of wood.) BTW, I said 338 RUM, but I already load 8mm Rem Mag, and the fact is I can't shoot as far as either of them.

stagpanther

Now that I think about it--375 H&H vs RUM--there is a rather pronounced taper in the diameter of the case from the space in front of the belt down to the shoulder in the H&H, normally that shouldn't be a problem, but when I got a 7mm STW match barrel--depending on the tolerance delta between the case and the chamber's measurements--that can potentially cause sticky cases, plus you might need a case sizer that gets that notorious belt ring sized down (Bart B. turned me onto that Godsend). You probably won't have any of those issues with the RUM.

BTW, I said 338 RUM, but I already load 8mm Rem Mag, and the fact is I can't shoot as far as either of them.
There's no law against using them at closer ranges as long as you choose the right bullet. I thought the 7mm RUM was especially nice the way it shot and ballistics, the only draw back being you need to know how to choose the right bullet so it doesn't laser through or vaporize on contact.

Last edited: