Magnetospeed Sporter

Wendyj

My old caldwell has seen its last legs. Gets more errors than readouts.
I ordered one of these from Midway yesterday. I've got 3 Leupold CDS scopes and do my own dialing on the Tikka 6.5. I've got to know a precise speed in order to get custom turrets and dial in on the CM. I hope these things are worth the money and this is the cheaper one. Would also come in handy working up reloads to know the correct velocity. Hope I didn't mess up but if I don't shoot it Midway gives me 90 days to get my money back. Looks fairly finicky as far as being exactly 1/4 inch away from muzzle and level enough to not get errors.

scatterbrain

I replaced my Chrony with a magneto and have never looked back. I shoot a lot of .224 bullets and the Chrony would miss enough of them that I would lose interest in it. The Magnetospeed has not missed a single shot.

jetinteriorguy

I’ve been using my sport version for around three years and have only had one issue. The case around the readout pops apart sometimes, I just snap it back together and it’s good until the next time. I’ve use it dozens of sessions and it’s popped apart maybe 4-5 times.

hounddawg

I’ve been using my sport version for around three years and have only had one issue. The case around the readout pops apart sometimes, I just snap it back together and it’s good until the next time. I’ve use it dozens of sessions and it’s popped apart maybe 4-5 times.

ditto on the case. I keep my MS sporter in my range bag at all times

hounddawg

Do any of you use the extra cable offered and sync with phone or ipad?

I only use the sporter for quick range checks, becasue of temperature fluctuations etc. I don't really have the need to DL the data to my phone/tablet. I still use my ProChrono for ladder tests, load development and archiving

Scorch

I recently bought a MagnetoSpeed to replace my old Chrony F3, and I can say it's my new favorite. Setup takes 1 minute instead of 10 minutes, readouts are quick and consistent instead of being all over the place. I suppose for someone doing a lot of load development it might not give enough information, but I test customers' loads when I sight in their rifles, so it works fine.

The only other thing to keep in mind is you may or may not get the same group sizes with it on the gun barrel. The weight can act a little like a barrel tuner that you can't tune because your setup is for a particular sensor position.

Wendyj

Thanks Unclenick. I knew I wouldn’t get same groups with it but I need some rue velocities es sd. I just got it and used on a 10-22 and a few shots out of my 7-08.

I thought it came with 2 spacers but I only got one. The 22 is awful close but a cleaning rod verified it would work so I shot about 10 rounds through it. Menu is ok I guess but not like my Caldwell hooked to my iPad.

Last edited:

hounddawg

yeah the menu on the sporter really is not all that, but it gives the relevant data. There are some bayonet fixtures out there to alleviate the barrel harmonics problem if you can find one that works with your rifle.

If you decide to try another optical the ProChrono has served me well. I had one for about 8 years that took one too many rides down a dirt road in the back of my Jeep, something started rattling inside and it began missing shots. I replaced it with a Labradar, which I hated and sent back to Brownells and bought another ProCrono this one with bluetooth. The DX model can be found for about 100 on sale.

I use a hacked laser boresight for setup, replaced the shade uprights with 1/8th wood dowels and made a couple of clip on sunshades for the top and side out of some coroplastic. Never misses a shot and everything gets recorded and controlled on my phone

If you ever want to get a second mortgage there are a couple of new radar units supposedly coming out, the 3 -4 hundred dollar Caldwell may see the light of day according to reports from Shotshow and a palm sized unit called the Andiscan is being beta tested by F Class John. About $1K for that bad boy though

9MMand223only

I do not recommend the magneto. It acts as a barrel weight, and affects your groups and point of impact, much like a suppressor or any barrel device would. a cheap $100 Chrony is good, or if you have the money the Labradar is best.

But if you dont care about POI and groups, and just want to speed, I have a magneto and its quick and convenient.

scatterbrain

I've used the Magnetospeed on several rifles and must have gotten lucky, if there's any change in group size it's been for the better.

hounddawg

I've used the Magnetospeed on several rifles and must have gotten lucky, if there's any change in group size it's been for the better

One of the ELR(2000 yards) guys at the range reports the same. I can't say since I really don't use it for groups

Barrel tuning weights can be located to make things either better or worse. So which way the MS affects a particular gun has a random element to it. The other thing to watch for is a change in point of impact. If I were using one, I would just accept the groups going where they go, and not try to zero sights with it on (or at least would keep track of my clicks so I could go back afterward).

Bought a Sporter a month or so back and think it's a vast improvement over my Chrony in most instances. Only trouble is that I have to adjust the sensitivity for 22-caliber bullets...and, of course, can't test semi-auto handguns.

I don't understand the worry about groups. I'm using it to test ladders for velocity and consistent velocity....I'm not going to run the rifle with it on all the time.

scatterbrain

My POA doesn't shift enough to adjust in 100 yards. As long as I don't hit my aim point I'm good. What 22 caliber bullets are you using that you need to adjust sensitivity? So far I haven't missed a single shot and I go down to 50 grain, and I have used it on rimfire also. There is a shimming kit available that adjusts for tapered barrels from Magnetospeed. My Chrony received a licking from the 50 grain bullets, had to get down as close as possible to get a reading.