Magnetic versus Non Magnetic Bullets

PH/CIB

I just bought 1200 rounds of .308 German DAG FMJ NATO 1990's production ammo in 200 round sealed battle packs for $89.95 per battle pack or .45 cents a round from AIM Surplus on the internet., berdan primed non corrosive.

Since it is berdan primed I probably can't have my brother reload it, and since it is magnetic bullets with some nickel in the jackets there is a remote possibility of sparks on bullet impact and a slight hazard for fires. Will this ammo with the lead core and copper/nickel jacketed bullets be harder or more wearing on my rifle barrels? Any other problems you can see with this ammunition? Thanks!

dahermit

...and since it is magnetic bullets with some nickel in the jackets there is a remote possibility of sparks on bullet impact...
I am sure the more scientifically educated on this forum will concur that being able to be attracted by a magnet is not what enables steel to produce sparks when struck.

Sport45

Will this ammo with the lead core and copper/nickel jacketed bullets be harder or more wearing on my rifle barrels?

The steel used for bullet jackets is much softer than your bore. It should also be coated with a copper wash for corrosion protection. Shoot it without fear of damaging the bore unless there is rust visible on the bullets surface.

Are you sure about the nickel? That would make for an expensive, but pretty, bullet. Not exactly military specifications. Nickel is also pretty hard and not something the military would specify for bullet coatings.

HiBC

Long ago,using regular modern jacketed ammo,I was shooting at a target @300 yds,sighting in.The target backboard was cello-tex,and it had a number of targets stapled on top of each other.The target stand was 1/2 in rebar.A bullet hit the target stand.
This was a private ranch,grass and sage and cactus,with a bit of breeze.Quite combustable!!
In my scope,I saw what seemed a whisp of smoke from the target.I immediately jumped in the truck,drove to the target,and dumped my Gatorade on it.In a short time,it would likely have gone to flames and started a range fire.Just another thing to be careful of!!