Magna-porting?

Jack O'Conner

muley4.jpg

muley3.jpg

I've had good luck with this older Savage in .308 but the muzzle lift seems excessive. A local smith told me the stock design causes this more than actual recoil.

I loathe the appearance of muzzle breaks. Magna-port advertizing appears to match my basic needs here. But before spending any money, I thought it best to seek advise from this forum.

I'm not concerned about ruining collector value.

Do you think Magna-porting will significantly reduce muzzle jump?

Thanks in advance for your replies.
Jack

Scorch

Jack-
Muzzle climb is really a function of stock design. I had a 243 that would climb to the sky every time it was fired, but it had very little recoil. I have known people who Magna-Ported their rifles and ahd good results, but they were mostly magnum rifles. In my opinion, Magna-Porting your Savage 99 would help a little with the muzzle rise, but would significantly affect the collector value of the rifle.

Jack O'Conner

Scorch:

Do you know if muzzle blast is increased? Magna-port advertises that is doesn't but seems like it would.

I don't care about re-sale for a collector after I'm buried. My heirs can fuss about who gets to hunt with this rifle.

Jack

hotntot12

magna porting

I really had a hard time with stability with a Ruger .480 hand gun until ported and now it's fun to shoot. I also bought a Weatherby 300 magnum that had previousley had a weatherby port on it with a screw off tip for hunting. At the range with the tip on it's very easy to shoot but very loud and in the woods I unscrew the tip so I won't blow my ears out-it works.

Scorch

Do you know if muzzle blast is increased?
Anything that redirects muzzle blast will increase the noise from firing a rifle, but Magna-Porting is probably one of the mildest offenders. The ports are smallish and direct the gas upwards at an angle and directly to the sides.

KROIL

I had a 4 port - Magna Port job done on my 629 Smith a few years ago and have liked it. Cut the barrel jump down. Loud is loud - not much difference in volume. I do get a little leading in the ports with lead bullets but its no biggy.