Magazine disconnect

Harry Callahan

Sometimes I've come across threads in which some say they have had the magazine disconnect removed. I've never really found out exactly what that means or the reason for that is. Could someone please explain? TIA.

Moe Howard

A mag disconnect renders the gun useless with the mag removed. Once removed the gun can be fired without the mag in the gun. Most civilians don't like a mag disconnect and have it removed.

Gbro

A mag disconnect is a very dangerous, foolish, unnecessary feature.
People have died because of the brain pollution of this feature.
Case in point,
A 18 yom from a community 45 miles west of me died when the other young man removed the magazine from a deer rifle(742). In the investigation he said he didn't think it would fire with the magazine removed. ETOH was involved also.
(trying to find the story, will post if i find it)

We are much better off without even considering such a feature.
They are easily fooled, and can fail from something like pocket lint.
When my daughter was buying her carry piece, the dealer was demonstrating and i was observing. I removed the mag and dropped the hammer in DA just like it wasn't suppose to be able to do.
All you have to do is take up the slack before you drop the mag and the disconnect is disabled.

18DAI

I have a mag disconnect feature on all my duty/off duty semi autos.

I like the feature for two reasons. One, if I'm wrestling with some mope who's trying to take my pistol, I can render the gun inoperative by punching the mag release.

The second reason is that by simply removing the mag I have the gun in a "safe storage" condition. Very convenient, for me.

I read frequently, that folks don't like the mag safety because they want the ability to fire the round in the tube while reloading :confused:. With the S&W 3rd generation pistols you can still do this, even if equipped with a mag safety. You simply take up the slack in the trigger prior to punching the mag release. Now you can fire the chambered round while your reloading, if thats something that concerns you. Personally, I think it would be more worthwhile to prctice your mag changing skills. I'm still confused as to why this is an "issue".

I hadn't thought about someone shooting themselves, or others, because they thought there was, or wasn't, a mag disconnect on their firearm. I don't think I would blame a mag disconnect, or the lack thereof, for someones inability to follow the "four rules".

Now an internal lock on a handgun, theres something I can hate ;) My 0.02, YMMV. Regards 18DAI.

novaDAK

I have a mag disconnect feature on all my duty/off duty semi autos.

I like the feature for two reasons. One, if I'm wrestling with some mope who's trying to take my pistol, I can render the gun inoperative by punching the mag release.

The second reason is that by simply removing the mag I have the gun in a "safe storage" condition. Very convenient, for me.

I read frequently, that folks don't like the mag safety because they want the ability to fire the round in the tube while reloading . With the S&W 3rd generation pistols you can still do this, even if equipped with a mag safety. You simply take up the slack in the trigger prior to punching the mag release. Now you can fire the chambered round while your reloading, if thats something that concerns you. Personally, I think it would be more worthwhile to prctice your mag changing skills. I'm still confused as to why this is an "issue".
While I agree with the idea of dropping the mag during a struggle, and getting around the mag disconnect by taking the slack off the trigger while dropping the mag, I personally don't think I would be able to have the mind to do it if I had to, due to the adrenaline and fight with the BG.
But, that's why there's guns that have a disconnect, and those that don't...so everyone can be happy :)

Cliff47

I know from personal experience, that the magazine disconnect on the Hi-Power will reduce the trigger pull by about 1 lb. Since the first pistol I ever had to carry was a Hi-Power, I got used to the magazine disconnect being there (how that came about is another story).

Part of the design of the magazine disconnect on the Hi-Power is to not let the magazine fall out of the pistol completely (dirt contamination being one consideration), but with a blued magazine and a very polished 'foot' that rests against the magazine, the bearing surfaces will slide against each other very nicely, allowing the mag to fall out under its own weight.

pinetree

I removed the mag disconnect from my Hi Power. The trigger was like night and day. So much better than before. Also the mags would fall free when released rather than having to pick them out.

teeroux

i was always taught that a gun is made safe when the magazine is removed and the chamber verified empty.;)

IdahoG36

Most civilians don't like a mag disconnect and have it removed.

I agree. I don't like mag disconnects and don't have one on any of my guns. I can see the benefit of having one on a carry weapon if you're a LEO. They have a much greater chance of somebody trying to grab their gun, and one push of the mag release renders the gun inoperable, potentially saving their life. If I was a LEO, only then would I want one on my gun.

Seems like police would want to know they could fire their chambered round no matter if a mag was in or out...what if a "mope" punches their mag out during a struggle so the weapon won't fire? There's always two sides to anything I guess.

I believe trigger gets pulled and gun should go BANG if there's a chambered round. I'm also about to venture into the ordeal of doing a conversion on my PX4 to turn it into the decock only model...I have had three times where I come home at the end of the day and my safety has caught on something and it's in the down position (I ALWAYS make sure it's up when I holster it). Don't have that problem with my XD.

18DAI

I'm pretty quick on mag changes, and have never been in, nor have I ever heard, or read, of someone being in a situation where their life was put in jeopardy by being unable to fire a chambered round while changing mags. Could happen I suppose.

As far as who punches the mag out during a struggle over a gun, dosen't matter, to me, thats what my back up gun is for ;) Regards 18DAI.

easyG

It sounds like a good feature to me, especially if you have children in your home.
A small child could easily pull the trigger of a pistol, and they could also easily switch a manual safety off; but I don't think that most small children would think to put the magazine in the pistol first.

BigDaddy

IMHO, If you have children in the house, You'd damn well better secure that firearm well away from curious young hands. In a safe if possible. Relying on a magazine disconnect to safeguard your weapon away from children is dangerous business. Always verify that chamber is empty! Skipping this step is asking for a tragedy.

rant ended
;)

--Dave