Magazine Article on the HK P7

Bentonville

FYI: A very informative article on the HK P7 can be found in the recent edition of Guns and Ammo Combat Tactics Magazine, available only at book/magazine stores. I found mine at Books-a-Million. The author is a contributor over on the hkpro forum.

dsa1115

I own a P7M8. I can tell you that it is one of the most accurate, best shooting pistols I've ever shot. A few things make this gun very accurate and easy to shoot. First it's got a very very low bore axis. Probably one of the lowest bore axis you'll find on any pistol. Also, it's got a gas delayed blowback system and a fixed barrel. These 3 features make it incredibly accurate and low recoiling for a pistol of this size. The low recoil makes for fast follow up shots. On the negative side, because of the gas blowback system.......the gun gets very hot after a few magazines.

Dobe

Is there even any well known Instructors or shooters that use a P7 these days
The heat is what eliminates the P7 from extended training sessions. That does not mean it is not a viable CCW. It is. As much as I have recently defended the CZ, most well known instructors do not use CZs either.

rsxr22

It would be very rare to see an instructor "with merit" using one of these. There an amazing gun, but have their downfalls. Stereotypically, you will see instructor's using Glock, 1911 variants, and M9's with the occasional HK.

mete

Downfalls ?
Heat - it depends on the size and shape of your hand and how you hold it .I NEVER had a heat problem during many IPSC matches !

Mag release - with my early P7 with butt mag release I was able to reload very quickly since the release is pushed FORWARD not backward as is typical of butt release. I've had ROs shake their heads in disbelief when watching me reload !! The newer P7s with behind the trigger guard release is very easy for me when using my trigger finger.

Caliber - if you use the P7 M10 like mine it meets major.

One of the problems is that many ROs never heard of any gun but a 1911. One RO told me to 'drop the hammer', I said it doesn't have one . He said drop it anyway !!!!:rolleyes:

Positive ejection - my PSP ejects rounds forcibly going abou 15' away ! If I forgot to tell the RO to stand to my left he would regret it !!:eek:

Yes I love my P7s !!:D

rsxr22

LOL entertaining post Mete! I think it would be fun to run my P7 in IPSC, i might do it at a local indoor match or something. Like last year, GGI built a limited P7M8 for a customer and it was sexy! Added a comp, extended magazine, magwell, worked the trigger, and tuned the squeeze cock down to like a 3lb positive engagement

It was beautiful!

rsxr22

I live in the real world as well what a coincidence! And in that real world, a race gun makes a very setup to shoot in Open Division. And these are Real World IPSC matches believe it or not....

Frank Ettin

Administrator
I'll need to look for the magazine.

I enjoy my P7M8s (I have a couple) and have taken a number of classes with them. In October of 2008, I used one for LFI-1, and Mas said he was pleased to have a P7 in the class.