mag springs.

Mike in VA

Maybe, but it takes years and years. FWIW, I rotate the mags on my car, house & carry guns every other month or so, and all my guns go to the range 2X/yr minimum for fun & function check.

Use the "search" function, this topic has been discussed at length several times with a lot of good, authoritative info (i.e. better than Mike's opinion/limited experience) provided. good luck.

P

PreserveFreedom

I like to rotate mine about once a month, though sometimes I forget and have never had a problem. By nature, a spring being used will eventually take a set. Some say loading and unloading doe sit faster, others say that a constant load will.

Skorzeny

For most guns and springs, I think the debate is largely moot and most people are almost like hypochondriacs on this issue.

I think that most magazines can be loaded for years and still function fine. I think this is especially true of single stack magazines (like 1911s).

I think that annual or biannual checking is sufficient (though one really ought to shoot more often obviously).

I don't believe that "rotation" does anything. Whether you rotate two mags once in two years or you do them every month for two years, each magazine spring accumulates about one year worth of stress.

If you are that concerned, just download by 1 or 2 rounds. That would put less stress on the springs by not engaging in maximum amount of tension.

Skorzeny

chickrepelent

What kills a spring is loading, unloading, loading, unloading, etc. Most cops never unload their mags. Remember a few years back when someone found all those M1911 mags that were loaded since WW 2? They all functioned fine. LTC Santose once told about a USGI 20 rounder that was loaded during Vietnam. He took it to the range and it worked as if he just loaded it.
A spring doesn't know if it's been loaded today or 20 years ago.

exilefromhell

as I understand it, they last for years fully loaded.

AND

as a wise person once told me here at TLF-"Magazine springs are for sale if yours get worn out. "

Skorzeny

chickrepelent:

As I understand, the constant loading and unloading does put stress on the spring, but so does leaving the spring compressed. The compression puts tension on the spring and wears out its ability to "spring back" over time.

It's just that the loss of "springiness" (for a lack of better term on my part) is very gradual. A few years and maybe be a handful of decades might not be enough to make the spring useless.

So, I think that a lot of folks worry for no or little reason. Still, I understand that most modern "high-cap" mags are more prone to the stress than, say, single-stack 7 round 1911 mags.

Skorzeny