Mag Release Sticking - Springfield XDS

Captains1911

At the range today, my mag release starting sticking all of a sudden, meaning no matter what side the button was depressed from, the button would either stay in on or very slowly return. After examination it appears the right side of the magazine catch is dragging on the adjacent magazine blocking lever inside the frame, and there's a noticeable wear mark on the blocking lever. Nothing else looks out of the ordinary. Once I got home I played with it some more just pushing the button in and out from both sides, and it suddenly began working much better, but still feels slightly sluggish and the parts are still rubbing. Perhaps there was a piece of debris stuck somewhere. Anybody have any ideas?

g.willikers

Have you tried giving it a good cleaning?
There's not a lot of clearance between the frame and release and even a little debris could do that.
The spring could be at fault, too, but try cleaning first.

Captains1911

I've cleaned it the best I can without disassembling the frame, and it's still acting weak. It's strange because if I sit there and work the button a few times back and forth it starts functioning properly. But once I let I leave it alone for a while and come back to it it sticks again. I'm really scratching my head over it.

IdahoG36

If you aren't against sending it in to Springfield, they will take care of it for you. I have read several times over on XDTalk that the current turn around time is approximately 1 week on repairs.

Some people had various issues after the recall, and the majority of them said it was about a one week wait. Just call them up, explain the issue, and they will email you a return label.

Captains1911

I thought it was working properly until today at the range after just one mag the button was stuck all the way to the right again. I guess I'll be calling Springfield.

Captains1911

I just received the return shipping email from Springfield, along with the invoice which states "refit mag catch." I'm not sure I understand what that means exactly. It's scheduled to be delivered Thursday, which makes the turn around time 9 days door-to-door. No complaints from me regarding Springfield's customer service.