Mag issue in SA XDM 5.25

akinswi

Today I noticed 1 of my 5 mags will not lock the slide back doesnt matter if its empty or full the follower looks like all the others on my mags that work and I just cleaned the mags.

Is it a Follower issue? or is it a spring issue.

This Mag may be one of the original I bought that came with gun and thousands of rds have been thru it but I doubt I have put 3 to 4 thousand rds thru each of these mags. Again Just 1 mag so not a gun issue not a grip issue either as I do shot the gun left handed and no issues with the other mags.

Yes, I have tried it on an empty mag and rack the slide back just doesnt catch I know I can get replacement springs from wolff but I have no clue where you buy the plastic follower. These xdm 19rd mags are 35.00 so trying not to buy another one.

Thanks

zplinker

I'd start by thumbing the loaded rounds out of a loaded mag, and see if they pop out smartly, or have to be encouraged. I've had a few SA mags with springs that were just junk, and not old or abused. New springs fixed things right up.

Shotgun Slim

I have numerous XDMs and many many magazines. Have never replaced a follower but have to replace springs fairly often. I shoot a lot but have no idea how many rounds lead to failure of the springs. I have loaded the mags so many times I swear I can feel when the springs get weak. I suppose you could have a bum follower but odds are it's time to call Wolff. I recommend their increased power springs. Good luck

akinswi

I ordered a new spring from wolff. I guess all there springs are 10% stronger than factory, Its cost was $7.95 , I dont see it being the follower it looks like the other ones on my good mags.

I was working on reloading drills, 3 rds in each mag and it was actually beneficial to have a bad mag to get used to if I did have that last rd not keep slide back so if it happened in real life help me not to panic in reloading. I may mark the mag with paint and mix it in with the drills again.

My xdm 5.25 has been a fantastic firearm.

Last edited: