Made in USA Enfields (Savage)

mtnboomer

They are just as good as any Limey-built Enfield. They were built under contract by Savage to suppliment the output of the British armories. The "Property of the United States" was marked on the receiver as the rifles were meant for Lend-Lease to the UK but some never made it across the Pond.

T. O'Heir

Like mtnboomer says, Savage was contracted to make No. 4's for the Brits at the beginning of W.W. II.(that'd be 1939, not 1941) When the contract was ended, all the existing rifles and parts were shipped to Canadian Arsenals, Longbranch Plant. That's now part of Mississauga, Ont. Literally across a wee river from Toronto's west end.
The Savage rifles are well made and $125 is a good price depending on condition. However, thousands have been assembled with no QC. Check the headspace and if it's ok, buy the rifle.

jayhway

I recently purchased a VG Savage Enfield from SOG and was extremely pleased. The wood was extremely clean and the bluing was great. Overall, the gun was immaculate and I'd highly recommend that people look into them. It was a little pricey though ($170+$10 handpick) but I think it was well worth the money. I know Classic Arms is selling Savages for $130, but from what I've read their condition is Fair-Good.

If anyone is interested from ordering from SOG, dial ext. 218 and ask for Tina. She was a great person to deal with.

jtb1967

The Savage Enfields may be better built than many British rifles. After all, the rifles here were built without the fear of bombers flying overhead! :)

Limeyfellow

Most of what you pay for with the Savage Enfields in the US is just the US property stamp. They will also be the wartime changes of the no4mk1* with the simplified bolt slot while a true No4 mk1 has a clip you depress to release the bolt.

$120 in the US is a great price as they usually go for $50-$100 more than other Enfields because of the aforementioned markings. In Britain, UK made Enfields are more expensive and in Canada Longbranch made ones are more expensive, so its almost certainly a patriotic thing. The best quality ones I seen in person tend to be from Longbranch which are my most accurate ones, but theres not that many different between a good quality Enfield from any plant.