Made a completely unexpected purchase today

Wayward_Son

I live in Beaumont, TX and Gustav is approaching. I'm leaving early, early tomorow morning for a hotel in Austin.

My 686P is at Smith & Wesson for repairs.

My SP101 in .327 Fedmag is still on backorder.

I wanted a handgun to take with me in my car, so I picked up a new 637. Also bought 100 rounds of Remington's "FBI" load: .38+P 158 grn LSWCHP.

Shot fifty rounds through it right out of the box at seven yards. Accuracy was about what I expected, but with patience I could put them in the ten ring at seven yards in single action. It kicks harder than full-house magnums out of my 4" 686P! :eek: I can't imagine shooting .357s out of an airweight. Socrates must be a glutton for punishment. Definitely not a range toy, but it should cover my sorry ass in case I need it. Price tag was $429.99. I don't regret buying it, but I certainly didn't anticipate the purchase, either. If I had my 686+ or my new SP101 I wouldn't have bothered with this new J-frame, but here it is.

After shooting it I cleaned it, lubricated it, and have dry-fired it about three-hundred times. Seems to have smoothed out a bit but the trigger is still very heavy.

At least I'm armed, right?

I'm Austin-bound in about nine hours. Wish me luck.

dipper

Good Luck Wayward,
Glad to hear about your new purchase but wish it was under different circumstances.
Hey, at least you have the ability to defend yourself if need be---hopefully, you'll not need to.
Best wishes to you and yours--stay safe.

Dipper

Auto426

I feel your pain. I live in Houma, Louisiana. We are located about 40-50 miles East of where the eye is supposed to pass over. We have the house boarded up and everything outside is picked up, and so far we plan to ride it out at home.

All of my guns are at home, and they are all close at hand right now, since our area is under a mandatory evacuation. I'm sure there will be some people looking to break into houses that have been evacuated, and we are taking precautions to protect ourselves.

warwagon

Wayward_Son

Nice purchase, but as was said, wish it was under better circumstances.

All of you members in the path of this thing, keep safe, stay strong, hope for the best, and know the hearts of all of the rest of us are with you.

Kreyzhorse

Those Airweights are great carry guns. I don't find my 637 too much at the range, but I certainly wouldn't want to launch .357s out of something that light.

Hope you and yours make it through Gus okay.