Mad Dog Enfield .303 just joined the family

George Hill

Staff Alumnus
Was at the gun show with Correia walking around looking at stuff and picking up some shotgun ammo for the event in Vegas this week.
We bumped into this cat there at a table by the name of Boston. Nice fellow who has written a few books on the subject of guns. Is now working on his first actual novel. Anyways, Boston has a table with some interesting guns on it.
One of the guns - the smallest by far on the table is a tight little Enfield No. 4 Mk II .303 with a severe chop on it. Now, I love the light and handy rifles... It's a weakness. Especially when they are chambered for real cartridges.
I pick up the little rifle and it feels "Just Right". The wood is nice, but nothing special... Functional over Form. The stock is trimmed down at both ends leaving just enough wood to do the job yet keep the rifle as light as realistic or feasible. Minimal and Functional. The butt-stock is capped with a nice comfy sissy-pad that is cut to shape to match the abbreviated wood. It's light and handy - but made for shooting. The action is very smooth for an old warhorse. The barrel has been turned to contour it with it's new and quicker length and resighted with a nice rugged ramped front sight.
The gun is PERFECT for a recon patrol in mountain terrain, or for jumping in and out of a Jeep checking fence lines or what have you. Would be a great saddle rifle. A great Working rifle.
I was in love with the thing. I was wanting it badly. Firearms Lust was put to the front burner on full flame. But I couldn't buy it. I've got a trip to Vegas this week. I need my money for traveling.
Then Larry throws out how cheap the trip will be. Gas and lodging split 3 ways... "Hmmm," I thought "I could do it... but I probably shouldn't."
Then Boston throws out "Kevin McClung, er... Mad Dog made that."
Dang it. There goes the Vegas lap dances. "You take Visa?" I wont mention the price I got it for, but let's just say that it wasn't something to pass on.
I'll be eating Oscar Meyers for a week - but that's okay. This rifle is worth the sacrifice. My gut may not be my friend for a week - but hey - hunting season is on the horizon and this little gun would be sweet for stalking in the Uinta mountains with! I'll get some venison with it and we'll be even.
:D

Last edited:

Keeper

Congrats! We need a pic of your new rifle. :) I love the Enfield action and I am interested in seeing the rifle after your description.

dZ

i been wondering where you been holed up at partner.

new job keeping ya busy?

The rifle sounds like a keeper thats gonna grow some tall tales

George Hill

Staff Alumnus
Aye, I picked it up as fast as I could with only worry as to how the Mrs would react. She was fine with it... Boston had to take cash on it so I had to run to the ATM and make a withdrawl...
This has got to be the slickest SMLE that I've ever handled.
I'll have to get a photo of it side by side with Correia's Ishapore so you guys can see just how much this thing has been reduced in dimentions.
For those wondering - the barrel length just a touch over the legal limit - so it isn't too short.

The way the stock is contoured, and with the barrel as it is, the rifle balances perfectly right at the magazine making this SMLE handle better than most AR/M4 clones.

How does it shoot? Now that is the question, isn't it?
I don't know - yet.
Before I left the gunshow I made sure I stopped by an ammo table and grabbed two boxes of S&B .303 Brit. I like how S&B boxes these rounds. The box is the size of a 1/2 brick of .22 rounds - yet inside lay a full 20 rounds of British Empire building .303 firepower. I know .303 isn't the most powerful rifle rounds out there, but let's get realistic about it for a second. It smokes .223 when it comes it killing. It has taken every big game animal in Africa more than once. It served England very well on the ground - and even in the Air as it was the round used in the Hawker Hurricanes and Spitfire fighter planes. (If I remember, the Hurricane has 8 of them lined up along the wings - 4 on each side) My point being that .303 is enough boomer and in such a little rifle - will probably prove to be more than enough.
:D
I'll shoot it when I come back from Vegas. Er. Maybe I'll take it to Vegas with me?

The job does indeed keep me busy... but it's working out fine. If anyone needs a computer let me know and I can have one built to order. Water Cooled even.

Gewehr98

George, from your description...

I'm assuming it looks different than the "other" chopped No4Mk1 variant, the original No5Mk1 Jungle Carbine? Is your new toy chopped more than even that little shoulder thumper?:confused:

Bostonterrier97

Actually the Mark VII.z .303 Standard Ball ammunition is incredibly deadly. More so than US made 7.62 NATO M80 ammo. Only Hertenberger 7.62 NATO Ammo is deadlier than the .303 ball.

Why is this so? It is the way that the .303 bullet is constructed. The Brits placed an Aluminum insert in front of the lead core deliberately in order to move the center of gravity close to the base of the bullet.

With the 1-12 twist rate from the Enfield..this bullet has just enough stability while in flight to be accurate but upon hitting solid flesh it TUMBLES like a BUZZ SAW causing some rather horrifying wounds.

Another good Ammo for the Enfield (if you can get it) is .303 Mark VIII ammo. This ammo was loaded quite a bit hotter than standard Mk.VII ammo and was intended only for MACHINE GUNS.
Mark VIII ammo is AP ammo with a steel insert and has a boat tail.
If you do get some of this Ammo DO NOT FIRE IT in a No.1 Mark III Enfield..only No.4 Mark 1 and Mark 2 Enfields have receivers strong enough to withstand the additional pressure.

Mark VII ammo you can fire in either the No.4 Mark 1 or the No.1 Mark III Enfields.

Another good thing to do: is to get ahold of some 7.62x39mm JHP Russian Ammo, pull the bullets and load them onto .303 cases.
The bullet diameter is the same (".311"). This makes a really dandy short range round..you can push it up to about 3000 fps at the muzzle. The little 123 grain bullet isn't designed to hold together at those velocities when it slams into a target and so it breaks up..creating large wounds.

You can also use bullets pulled from 7.62x54R ammo and load them on to .303 cases.

Correia

I will say this, that is one tiny little .303. It is cute in a deadly sort of way. :)

Gewer, it is much more thinned down than a standard jungle carbine, for one thing the stock doesn't extend to the end of the muzzle, instead it chops off not to far after the magazine. The Stock has been contoured down to very skinny. You kind of have to see it. It is actually a very groovy little gun.

George, before we leave for Vegas, I'll bring my Ishy with me and you can keep it at your place until you get some comparison pictures taken.

George Hill

Staff Alumnus
Thanks Z... things are looking up!
Land a job and within a month I am up 2 guns! CZ-52 and this SMLE Shorty. I'm pleased. Hmmmmm... Maybe I should be looking for a Blazer R93 next?

*OUCH*

Mrs just read over my shoulder. Looks like NEXT will be the restoration on her Jeep Wagoneer. :D

Jake 98c/11b

George, glad to hear things are looking up for you.

Wha bout some more technical info? OAL, weight, LOP, etc. If I remember correct that rifle has an abbreviated buttstock and will fit, diagonally, in a hard sided suicase. Did the appropriate suitcase convey with the transfer of the rifle?

I am sure you remember that I am a fan of the Enfield rifles and the Scout concept so this certainly has my interest. I am thinking of building up a small ring mauser in .308 for something similar.

Johnny Guest

Moderator in Memoriam
Hey, George Hill - - -

You last posted on this nifty lil' arm nine days ago - - - We need
photographs, PICTURES, IMAGES!

How 'bout it, bro?:D

Best,
Johnny