Mach 5 projectiles - Wow!

BILLtheDJguy

They have had this active for some time...Here's a photo I found, some time back.
Remember there is NO POWDER behind this projectile. It is literally setting the air on fire with friction.
And the shock wave is cool, as well.

upload image

SwampYankee

The thing is, a modern "shell" works. As a self contained cartridge, there is very little that can go wrong. And I assume that current deck guns can switch from computer controlled targeting to manual targeting in the event of an electronic failure. In the case of missile based weapons, if one missile fails to work, just fire off another.

Capacitors, however, are not only extremely dangerous because of the high electrical potential but can get flaky over time or if improperly built. Think about all the condensors you're ever had to replace from a bad ignition system. If the electronics fail in a rail gun, you no longer have any firepower. While there are definitely some distinct advantages to the technology, it seems like a case of putting all your eggs in one basket.

WeedWacker

I could see the three gun on a battleship replaced by this with conventional munitions on standby. Remember this is a long range weapon system, not up close and personal.

Glenn E. Meyer

Aren't any useful battleships any more. The laid up ones aren't really able to function without being rebuilt. No use for that.

Some of the articles do mention that if the capacitors are hit, it will be like a magazine explosion.

I'm waiting for Glock and Toyotal to make the Glock Prius!

Skadoosh

Some of the articles do mention that if the capacitors are hit, it will be like a magazine explosion.

Yes, but a capacitor, unlike explosives stored in a magazine can be instantly rendered inert by simple shorting the capacitor. These same capacitors can be recharged quickly after the danger passes.

LordTio3

I'm reminded of the first time the test fired the atom bomb out west, and the level of uncertainty that they could potentially cause the atmosphere to ignite, causing a catastrophic chain reaction and killing us all.

Dangerous Stuff. We've got the tech to do it now, apparently. Now we've got to make delivery safe. Think trying to accelerate a bullet by squeezing your pinky around it, pouring gunpowder into your fist, and lighting your thumb side. A far cry away from your standard revolver. I think 2025 might be optimistic considering the spending it would require. But magnetic acceleration does have it's domestic R&D potential too, so you never know.

Good topic GEM.

~LT

BILLtheDJguy

I'm sure there are a broad range of potential applications that the govt. and military are considering. Some of which we may never be privy to...

LordTio3

I'm sure there are a broad range of potential applications that the govt. and military are considering. Some of which we may never be privy to...

Considering how tightly locked DARPA is and the fact that they had to display that the media has specifically been granted clearance to view and re-post this footage, I believe you're right on the money.

~LT

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
Impressive! I wonder if you could scale it up, seems like it'd be a relatively less costly way to put something into orbit.

The idea has been discussed for decades, at least. I remember watching a video back in jr high that included a laser anti-aircraft weapon, that was real, and a rail gun for launching satellites that was theory. That was.... God.... 20+ years ago.

The only problem with the Mach 5 Glock is the Ghost Busters' style nuclear reactor needed for the power supply and the special protective gear for the shooter as the plasma would likely destroy the gun and possibly his hand.

Remember this is a long range weapon system, not up close and personal.

There is no reason it can't be used up close and personal. The target for the test above was less than 50 yards distant.

What they have not worked out is how make the guns useful for more than a couple shots. They tend to melt the rails with each shot.

KLRANGL

Impressive! I wonder if you could scale it up, seems like it'd be a relatively less costly way to put something into orbit.
If you want to design a payload that can withstand those kind of g-loads, then have at it. But count me out :p