MA small CCW choice - picked a S&W Revolver

VVG

MA small CCW choice - probably a S&W Revolver

After looking at what was available new and used, I'm leaning towards a Smith & Wesson Scandium .357 Mag revolver.

The S&W lightweight 5 shot revolvers are very light and compact (despite the cylinder).

But while at the shop I got to handle the Chief Special 9mm, a 3" barrel, 7 shot semi that weighs 21 ounces - 6-9 ounces more than the revolvers, but with a flatter profile and a little more capacity.

I'm going to try and fire a 908 today (don't know anyone who has a CS9) and a Scandium revolver.

Last edited:

Kermit

SWEET! :cool: I'm starting to develop a "need" for a hammerless snubby revo myself. Look forward to reading your range report on it!

fastbolt

Great choice!

While I won't be getting rid of my 642-1 anytime soon ... The Scandium/Ti snubnoses are terrific little guns. I fired one belonging to another instructor recently ... using Remington 125gr SJHP Magnum ammunition ... I won't be doing that again. Don't get me wrong. I think an afternoon of a couple or three hundred rounds of full power .44 Magnums through a carry size revolver is a pleasant way to spend the time. I'm not recoil sensitive.

But ... just like I wasn't claustrophobic until I spent time in an MRI tube, I wasn't recoil sensitive until I fired hot magnum ammunition through one of these little gems. Yeehaw ..

Considering their strength, though, you'll never have to worry about shooting them with +P .38 spl ... which is what I'd carry in them and practice with ...

Have you tried the .357 ammunition yet?

Enjoy ...:cool:

jungleman

NICE REVOLVER.
I have a S&W M-38 Bodyguard Airweight 38 spl.
I have a lot of guns with more power but I really like this little J

22lovr

A good choice; Now for some ammo..

Worried about recoil? How 'bout RBCD 60 gr TFSP's? Over 1,900 FPS and 500+ of energy with a standard pressure round ?? An almost perfect combo for self-defense. $32 for a box of 20, plus shipping. The 340 or the 342PD is probably going to be my next primary carry piece and RBCD will be the ammo.

rbcd.net

Blackhawk

Good choice! :D

But shooting one enough to make sure you like the balance, feel, pointing, etc., is a really, really, really good idea....

agooga

I have just purchased the S&W 342, a very small, hammerless and lightwaight revolver. I'm very happy with it so far, but have only fired a couple hundred rounds so far- and no +P ammo, yet.

Though small, it fits my hand reasonably well (I'm over 6 feet), it has reasonable accuracy and recoil befitting it's size.

I recommend this weapon for emergency use or concealed carry.

JP