M92FS squib load issues

xMINORxTHREATx

So this is what I was afraid of when I started reloading. SQUIBS

I have had 2 squib rounds using this formula out of my M92FS -
125gr HAP bullet
4.2gr of Power Pistol
Book says it's 900 fps

900fps is the lowest recommended loading in the manual, but does this just mean I'm going too low? Or do you guys think I just had under-powered rounds.

Also, in retrospect, I don't remember it cycling properly for those two rounds. I know that they were noticeably softer in recoil and noise, but I'm not sure if that's because it squibed, or because it was light on powder. The first round was about 1/4 inch inside the barrel, so it didn't travel far at all. Second round was almost out of the barrel.

Scimmia

but I'm not sure if that's because it squibed, or because it was light on powder.

Being light on powder is the main cause of squibs. The one that only made it a 1/4" probably had no powder at all. Even a couple of grains of PP would be plenty to clear the barrel. Time to re-evaluate your process.

dunerjeff

Powder bridge?,Were they loaded in a progressive.Some loads in that batch may be overcharged if so or the bridge could have been in the hopper itself in which case you'd be ok.Before a bullet is seated you are going to HAVE to learn how to look inside the case.

Last edited:

GURU1911

Squib load prevention

The #1 cause of squib loads is the "failure to powder the empty case". To prevent this from happening, 100% visually inspect all cases sitting in the loading block under a strong direct light. This will insure each case got powder & that the powder height in each case is uniform.

This practice will prevent both squibs & double-charged pistol cases. Squibs & double-charges are easy to prevent. It only requires making a change to your reloading habits / routine.

Have been doing the above since 1977 & have never had a squib or unsafe double charge situation.

Guru1911

briandg

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't believe that power pistol is appropriate for very low load density. It's a rather slow ignition powder, right?

You may have had that charge strung out along the bottom of the case and gotten bad ignition. Did you find any unburned powder?

Maybe switching to a more appropriate powder, bullseye flake, for example, would be the thing to do.

Jim243

Interesting, I checked the bullet out at Hornady and the HAP are .356 as compared to their other 9mm offerings in .355. I would say you had more risistance with the HAP than a normal .355. Increasing your powder load should solve your problem with the squibs.

Jim

Loader9

I think I'm more surprised that the load will even work the action. My brother shoots one of those and it shoots at the top of the book or it doesn't work the slide right with fail to ejects/load common. Power pistol works best at near max pressures. You're using the wrong powder for plinkers.

m&p45acp10+1

For a lighter load try Titegroup, or Bull's Eye from 4.0 to 4.4 grains working up. Both are not position sensative so a lighter load will still fire. I use 4.2 grains of either with good results in 9mm.

xMINORxTHREATx

Thanks for the info guys.

I have been meaning to pick up a Hornady Powder Cop, but they are out of stock every where around here. And yes it's a progressive press. I usually weigh each bullet after I've made them, and throw back the lighter ones. I guess these two could have been slightly heavier cases/bullets and that threw the weight off maybe???

I will try a different powder and see how that works. I'm not necessarily trying to make plinking rounds, but just find what velocity works best for me etc etc.

Jim Watson

"Around here?"

There is very little in the way of reloading equipment around HERE, I depend on mailorder, Midway, Midsouth, and Grafs are good.

In the meanwhile, apply the Mk I eyeball on EVERY round. Be sure that each case contains one and only one powder charge before placing a bullet to seat.

Weighing loaded rounds does little good unless you are using the same lot number brass all the time; it is not unusual for different batches, certainly different brands of mixed brass to have more difference in weight than a pistol powder charge. It also wipes out most of the time savings of a progressive loader.

I once weighed some loaded rifle ammo because what I thought would be a time saving method left me uncomfortable with the results. I didn't find any short by 44 grains but it would have showed up because the Lapua brass and Sierra bullets are very uniform and 44 is a lot more than 4.4. I went back to my old procedure with no more worries.
Better to use good practice in the loading than to try to track down the failures afterwards.