m9 clones

Driveout02

I know Taurus makes a damn good clone of the Beretta M9, but I don't see many other "generic" versions out there. Does anyone know of, or have any reccomendations for other versions of this tried and true platform?
~Jake

fattsgalore

Besides Taurus and now Stoeger I haven't seen comparable pieces to Beretta's. If you asked 1911 the flood gates would be busting open. But what do I know.

My question is why do you ask? Taurus is to expensive???

starbuck

Besides Taurus and now Stoeger I haven't seen comparable pieces to Beretta's.

Stoeger is a subsidiary of Beretta. :)

fattsgalore

Well tell that to all the Beretta lovers out there. That hate the idea of a Cougar or the 92 series made without the Beretta name.

Is the $429 O.T.D, is tax not a factor or shipping? And what about the fact where ever you have the pistol delivered is going to charge you for the transaction.

I'm asking, not arguing.

SMiller

Or theres always the fact that the Taurus comes with a lifetime warrenty (no questions asked), doesnt have the safety on the slide (what a pita), and gets better reveiwes, oh and it's $150 cheaper, the only one up I can think of is the cromed barrel of the Beretta, but you can keep that, im not a Taurus groupie, just tell it like it is.

snolden

ditto on officer's match plus the fact the taurus has a lifetime guarantee. the same parts in berettas break as inthe taurus pt92 but the taurus company will replace them free.

i sold my beretta 92 to buy a taurus pt92. Ihad owned the taurus before and simply liked it better.

theberettaman

Oh what the he!! I'll get in this pissin' match.

There's a reason Taurus are $150 dollars cheaper.They suck.
Yes Taurus has a Lifetime Warrenty.They need one or nobody would buy their cheap junk guns.
Don't waste your money on a Taurus.Bryco's are far superior.
Why doesn't someone make a clone of a Taurus?Who would want a cheap copy of a cheap copy?

Are we all done here?

How does one's opinion make a design superior?
Apples are far superior in design than Oranges.
Let's stick to facts and seperate our opinions from them.

Beretta does not chrome line their barrels.

Beretta lovers don't hate the idea of Cougars made outside of Italy.We're happy the Cougar can stay in production elsewere in the family.Very under rated and under marketed design.

How about we try to answer Driveout02's question?

croyance

Is the $429 O.T.D, is tax not a factor or shipping?
Of course the FFL receiving it will charge, but that is like $25 at Gander Mountain. You will pay tax regardless of location, shipping is maybe $20.

Or theres always the fact that the Taurus comes with a lifetime warrenty (no questions asked), doesnt have the safety on the slide (what a pita), and gets better reveiwes,
I've seen good reviews of the Taurus version, but I haven't seen a head to head comparison that rates it higher.

Driveout02 - the Taurus is not exactly a generic version. They use original Beretta machinery and the original design.
I believe Vecktor made a closed slide variation.

IM_Lugger

I like Taurus but Beretta is a better gun...

yes Vector (South Africa) is based on a Beretta's design, there is also a Turkish copy of the 92FS...

Officer's Match

Well theberettaman, since you no doubt are objective about this:rolleyes: I'll skip the opinion pingpong. Superior design in that the safety/decock lever is on the frame where it can be reached without adjusting or 'regripping' in order to utilize. It allows for cocked and locked, which the M9 cannot. So the lowly Taurus owner enjoys the ability to safely carry AND have the option of a SA first shot without a potentially dangerous thumbcocking procedure.

If Beretta had this design instead of Taurus, you'd likely blast the Brazilian import for it's obsolete design.

Again, I could afford either. I chose the PT92.

novaDAK

To answer the original question, They made a Maadi Helwan 92 (same people as the Helwan 951 Brigadier), French have the PAMAS-G1 (a licensed copy), and the South Africans have the licensed copy Vektor Z88.
I don't believe any of them other than the Taurus or Helwan 92 (which were imported by Century Arms but that was many many years ago) were ever imported.

theberettaman

OfficersMatch, as in the Colt Officers Match which has, let's see,,,,,,oh my,a Frame Mounted Safety.And Gods other son,John Moses Browning invented it.Yea,no bias there,,huh?:rolleyes:
Again,the location of a safety on the frame is Your Preference.I don't care for the frame safetly location and so therefore you alone are the deciding factor of superiority.That's good to know.I will let every product manufacturer know that they will need to get in touch with you before they make any design/product decisions.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: You're making my point for me. :)

Officer's Match

So its preference where your thumb is attached to your hand? Sure, obviously any Colt fan is naturally predisposed to Brazilian Taurus firearms.;)

wth?

Saw a Vector back in the early 90's, haven't seen one since. Built liscenced copies of the 92, as well as a modified version for the SA millitary. Seemed like a really nice piece. Are they still around? A quick search just pulls up a dealer, not the SA manufacturer.

did find a picture of the pistols I saw, though.

http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg30-e.htm

Driveout02

I don't have a ton of experience w/ either, but I did have a Taurus for a while, and shot my friends' Berettas a couple times, and one didn't neccesarily seem better than the other: they just felt the same. I don't know, not trying to cause trouble, just wondering what the pinnacle of this design might be. I like the platform, I'm just wondering if Beretta is at the top of this game, or are there other manufacturers out there making comparable (or better!) versions?
~Jake.

voodoo90-two

Driveout02,
I believe this will sum up your questions. Who passed the grueling military test for our military's sidearm? Beretta and Sig. Which handgun was selected to be used by our military? Beretta! I don't see a Taurus being used by any military or LEO in the world. Wonder why that is?;)

fattsgalore

Well to argue.

The reason Taurus developed the PT-92 in brazil was to fill a military contract. After which Beretta just left the equipment behind to the brazilian government and Taurus. So to say Taurus isn't being used isn't correct. Just no major army is using it. This can be said about a lot of weapons manufactures or models. Styer is a good example of this.

Also, thanks. I still haven't seen anything about the 40cal 90 two. Out of my price range anyway. I was thinking of the PT100 in 40cal...thats got to burn.

PS anyone saying the PT-92(this paticular model not Taurus in general) isn't as good as the Beretta is just bias. To say Beretta is better is just being stuburn. To say they are of equal quality is a better apporach. Heck, a Stoeger Couagr 9mm is in my future anyone bad mouthing Stoeger.

IM_Lugger

I own a Beretta shot a Taurus and 92FS is a better gun; the fit and finish of PT92 is just not as good...period! That isn't to say that Pt92 is a bad gun just not as nice at Beretta (and that is why it's cheaper) and btw I'm a Taurus fan...

btw why would anyone one want to carry a DA/SA gun C&L? :confused:

Driveout02, the original (beretta) is the best design esp if you go with 'hi end' models like Steel or Biennium. btw IIRC Taurus is a copy of the 92F not the 92FS! Meaning it doesn't have the enlarged hammer pin that would prevent the slide from flying back in case it would even brake.