M70 Youth Ranger grows up.

taylorce1

I bought this rifle a few years ago, because a .223 M70 Winchester is a pretty rare configuration. The plain stock with 12.5" LOP was always something I wanted to change. Anyway I got a FWT take off from a buddy who accidentally bought this stock for his .270 Win and was bummed when he realized his mistake, luckily I could come to his rescue.

I do like the darker color and now the rifle just feels better in my hands.

Last edited:

FiveInADime

I bought this rifle a few years ago, because a .223 M70 Winchester is a pretty rare configuration. The plain stock with 12.5" LOP was always something I wanted to change. Anyway I got a FWT take off from a busy who accidentally bought this stock for his .270 Win and was bummed when he realized his mistake, luckily I could come to his rescue.

I do like the darker color and now the rifle just feels better in my hands.
I've almost bought a FW stock for my 'Youth Ranger' .243 many times. Love this.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

SCgman

Nice.

My first serious hunting rifle was a Model 70 ranger with the rubber blind mag stock. I wanted to upgrade to a bedded stock to float the barrel but to do so in a blind mag had me limited to McMillan class, or convert to floor plate operation. Either solution seemed pricey at the time.

I wound up selling the rifle.....it had a great trigger for a Walmart gun.

FiveInADime

Nice.

My first serious hunting rifle was a Model 70 ranger with the rubber blind mag stock. I wanted to upgrade to a bedded stock to float the barrel but to do so in a blind mag had me limited to McMillan class, or convert to floor plate operation. Either solution seemed pricey at the time.

I wound up selling the rifle.....it had a great trigger for a Walmart gun.
For whatever reason the 'Youth Ranger' was a much nicer finished rifle than the standard 'Ranger'. It was basically an XTR Featherweight with sights (nice ones) in a plain hardwood youth stock. Mine has great mirror finish bluing, floor plate, and the stock fitment/finish is excellent. Really, the only reason I haven't upgraded to an adult stock. My son will use it for his first deer rifle in about 4 years.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Paul B.

I have one in .308 Win. that I won from a raffle. I just happened to have a short action Ramline stock so I put it into that one. I finally found a Featherweight stock for the short action but just haven't had time to make the switch. :( Fact is, I'm afraid if I do I'll lose the extremely good accuracy that the rifle now gives me Some handloads shoot into .375" and most run slightly more than half inch. Even the few rounds of factory I've run through it run at one inch or slightly less.
Paul B.