M70 WSM for long range target/hunting

brianidaho

I'm looking for some recommendations. I am looking at purchasing a new rifle for longer range target shooting (500-1000 yards, non-competition, just want to know what I can do), and also for hunting. I am thinking about one of the new short mags, either 7mm WSM/SAUM or 300WSM. My goal is to have a rifle that is comfortable enough to shoot such that I can put the rounds downrange to get proficient prior to using at longer ranges on big game (elk and deer), yet still light enough to be bearable to carry all day. I'm leaning towards the 7mm WSM, due to the lower recoil and availability of high BC bullets in 7mm.

OK, so I am looking at a rifle somewhat heavier than a typical light-weight modern hunting rifle, but lighter than some of the bull-barrel target/tactical rifles, I'm thinking 7 3/4-9 pounds bare. I don't go for the 6 1/2 pound mags, I don't think that I would enjoy shooting them enough to get the skill level up to where it should be for long range hunting shots, besides if carrying an extra couple of pounds bothered me that much, I'd go on a diet.....

I'm really intrigued with the new Winchester Coyote Lites I have looked at, with a 24 inch fluted stainless barrel they weigh 7 1/2 or 7 3/4 pounds, depending on rather you believe Winchester's web site or their catalog. This feels like a pretty reasonable compromise to me, and seems to "balance" well. The other rifle I liked the "feel" of so far is the Rem 700 VS SF (I'd prefer stainless, you will get rained on during our elk season), but this rifle is only available in smaller (varmint) calibers, I thought .308 as well but don't see it in their catalog. No short mags. Winchester's M70 Coyote (not lite) also seems do-able, its around 8-3/4 to 9 lbs. My understanding is that the Win 70's actually have a new length action for their short mags, longer than a typical short action, but shorter and lighter than a long. My thought is that with handloads I could seat the bullets a bit longer on this rifle than the other factory short mags.

OK, so my main questions are what are your opinions on M70's? I know the trend is for 700's or Savages for long range rifles these days (at least in my price range, <$800). Is the Winchester a good foundation to start with? If not, what is fundamentally wrong with them? Also, what about the Coyote options....would I be better off with a Coyote, save the money over the Coyote Lite, and swap on a decent synthetic stock some time in the future? Are aftermarket stocks even available for this rifle and action length?

Does anyone else offer a short mag in a medium weight rifle? I looked at the Tikka's, they felt a bit lighter to me than what I wanted...and in my opinion are ugly (my appologies to T3 owners)....but also the smoothest action I have seen. I don't see the mags available in a Tikka varmint. Does CZ or Ruger have anything to offer?

The other option I'm liking, if I don't go the short mag route, is a used Sendaro in 7mm RM or 300 WM....too bad big green isn't making this rifle any more, or if they are I can't find it in their catalog. Was the demand not great enough for them to keep building this?

Any thoughts or inputs you guys and gals have would be much appreciated.

Bri

brianidaho

Hi Kenny, my main issues with the Brownings is the package they offer, it is a lighter rifle than what I am looking for.

Savage of all things also sounds to have a couple of decent packages, the 16fasak is a bit lighter than I'd like (7 1/4), but comes with a fluted barrel and muzzle brake, it might be real managable. The 12FVSS also looks do-able, 8 3/4 lbs, also with a fluted barrel. I understand the stocks on both of these rifles are lacking and may need to be upgraded. In the old days, Savage rifles were thought of as cheaper and not as well made (perceptions anyway, from way back when I was a teenager). From what I am reading it now sounds like quality compares with Win or Rem, with perhaps more consistent performance in the accuracy department. More importantly they offer the basic package that I am looking for.

So what's the deal with Remington with so few magnums, short or otherwise, in a medium weight package. I see you can get the 700P in long mags, but it is a bit more than I want to pay, and I'd like the short mag. The VS SF in a 7mmWSM or SAUM would be sweet.

Bri

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
If you're gonna work on accuracy with the Shorty, I hope you reload. Doing lots of shooting with factory stuff gets expensive. :)

I sorta have a "thing" in favor of a .30 over a 7mm when it gets to larger animals, armchair though my knowledge is. People keep talking about penetration on quartering shots, and IMO you'd do better with a 180-grain from a .30 than a 160-grain from a 7mm. But, that's opinion.

I've hunted with a 9.5 pound '06 and a 7-pound .243. For a walking hunter, lighter is better. Nowadays there are recoil pads which are reported here to be better than the Pachmyrs of old, so light weight and thumper cartridge have become less of a problem on the bench. Recoil in the field isn't noticed when something good is in the crosshairs.

No matter how good you ar out at 500 yards and beyond, there are other factors to think about when hunting. One is bullet energy; the other is the combination of range and wind drift. That's why most folks consider 400 yards or less to be the maximum practical range.

FWIW, Art

brianidaho

Thanks for the input guys. Art, I should have said something earilier, I would not try a 700-1000 yard shot on elk, it would not be ethical, especially with my current skill level. My goal is for a rifle and shooting time to get good enough at targets "way out there" such that a 400 yard shot on a bull is a piece of cake. The only elk I have taken so far have been with a bow.

As to caliber selection, most of my experience is "armchair" as well. I do have a buddy thats a pretty serious hunter, he has killed around 20 elk himself, and his brother has killed more. His have been with a .270 and .30/378, the brothers with a 7mm mag. Neither has had a problem with killing elk with either weapon. If I were buying this only as a once a year hunting rifle, I'd go .30, however I'd like to shoot a few hundred rounds a year, play time and skill building, I'm thinking the 7mm might be more pleasant for this. I have very little time shooting magnums, just a few shots with some buddies, so I don't have a lot go to on.

I do reload...couldn't afford not to and shoot much, but only handgun ammo now. I need to jump on the reloading forums and see how my progressive press will work for the rifle calibers I'm contemplating.

Thanks.
Bri