M70, FN Border Patrol Rifle

Slamfire

Took my new 308 Win FN M70 out to the range. It shot well. The rifle is slick and smooth.

FNfulllengthDSCN8751.jpg

The action is marked “Patrol Bolt Rifle”. This is one of the barreled actions sold by CDNN. The Hogue stock is not marked with any Winchester logos.

FNPatrolRiflemarkingsDSCN8753.jpg

I adjusted the trigger, and it still has some creep, but I was able to lighten the trigger pull. In taking the action from the stock I found that the trigger is the traditional M70 trigger.

FNtriggermechanismadjustedbrightnes.jpg

I called customer service to find out if the action is dimensionally correct for old M70 triggers, such as Jewel/Timney. I was told that that the PBR action will accept these. I don’t know if that will be true for the FN M70’s that have the new trigger mechanism.

These PBR's were finished in New Haven Conn. (Which makes them the last rifles out of the old Winchester factory)

The Picatinny rail is a 20 MOA mount but the threads are 8 X 40. Not the old M70 threads. Having a 20 MOA mount is great as you do not have to wait five years for the aftermarket to build a 20 MOA mount. This is a continuing source of irritation to me. If you ever buy “standard” scope mounts, you will find that the factories build them so the scope is in the center of its elevation at 100 yards. This is typically around 20 MOA up. At 600 yards this is OK as the scope often has enough elevation left to compensate, but at 1000 yards, there is not enough elevation adjustment left. At least with a 20 MOA mount, you have lots of useable elevation from the start.

Factory accuracy criteria is 1.6" at 100 yards. This is reasonable for a mass produced factory rifle. I know mine shot better, and it will take tweaking with bedding, loads, if I want something much smaller.

The twist rate of 1:12 was chosen because they expect the market will use 168 grain Federal Gold Medal match. I would have preferred a 1:10 as that twist shoots 150's, 168's, 175's and 190's very well and I prefer the heavier bullets at 600 and 1000 yards. Once you have 168's tumble at 1000 yards, you don't use them again.

Ten round magazines are not available yet, maybe next year. I hope FN gets them out soon, with a new anti gun administration, you never know....

If you have ever shot the old M70’s, they don’t handle gas well. Always wear shooting glasses as gas from pierced primers run down the firing pin shaft into your eyes. In a big bang, gases are not blocked when they run down the left raceway. FN has at least improved the gas handling a little bit as the new bolt shroud has an extended flange, blocking the left raceway. Still wear your glasses. Gas is coming down the firing pin.

If you ever had to look for a new bolt or firing pin for a pre 64, you know that parts availability is a concern. I have a short action M70 classic. I was able to take the complete bolt (firing mechanism and all) out of the PBR and was able to close the bolt in the M70 classic. There was some sort of interference issues with the sear, and of course I did not check the headspace. But this is good as it may mean that PBR bolts are somewhat reverse compatible with M70’s classics. Of course headspace has to be checked, and probably some other things, but a good gunsmith should be able to adjust when rebarreling a M70 classic. The M70 classic bolt shroud has a different thread and is not reverse compatible.

I always liked the M70 action, it was one of the finest sporting actions made. I hope this new version has staying power.

Last edited: