M70 Extreme Weather rifles

dvdcrr

Does anyone here have experience with the Winchester M70 Extreme Weather rifle, particularly the 270, 25-06 or 243? And do you have any thoughts on the long action vs. the short action model 70's? I had some experience with one of these a few years back. Thinking about another

Dobe

Love the Model 70. I’m considering another one in .270, but not the Extreme Weather. I like the action of the Model 70.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmr40

Mine is in 308. I didn't love the factory stock, but I found a used McMillan Edge stock posted for sale in another forums classified ads that I bought. It is now my go-to rifle for everything. Even with the factory stock I consider the EW the best all around, do anything, anywhere, no excuses rifle on the market. The factory stock is just a little chunky and about 1/2 lb heavier than it needs to be.

Mine shoots everything I put in it very well. Unlike some rifles it isn't picky about what it shoots.

As far as the rifle is concerned I don't have a preference as to long vs short action, but I've pretty much retired all of my long actions. I came to the conclusion 10-12 years ago that a 6.5CM, 7-08 or 308 will do anything a 270, 280, or 30-06 will do at the ranges I shoot. The long actions shoot the same bullet weights just enough faster to be effective about 50-100 yards farther downrange, and the short action cartridges are effective farther than I can shoot. I'd take deer. elk or bear out to 400 yards with any of them. I wouldn't attempt a shot any longer regardless of what I was carrying. They recoil about 25% less and I shoot them better too.

T. O'Heir

"...long action vs. the short action..." The difference is a half inch of length. Same rifle otherwise.
The chambering is mostly about what you plan on hunting. Both the .270 and .25-06 are suitable for moose/elk sized game. The .243 is a deer/blackbear/antelope cartridge.
The Extreme Weather(it's just SS) utilizes a Bell and Carlson lay-up composite stock. That mostly means it's a solid synthetic stock vs the ones that are hollow. That means you can just cut it if you need to adjust the LOP(Factory is 13 3/4".).

dvdcrr

Does anyone understand the current arrangement where these rifles are made? The box says assembled in Portugal, but the rifles say made in USA

Catman42

if your doing a ranch carry in 270 or 25/06, reload to a fast 90 grain bullet load. it will be fast and more accurate to way out their than any heavier bullets. use flat base bullets and not boat tails. ive reloaded for local ranchers that way and they all said, man now my gun is accurate. good for deer and antelope with a well placed shot also. you can shoot a lot of coyotes with this load also. when my youngest son was a lad and only weighed 80 pounds he got a white tail that looked like a small horse with horns. a 8 by 9 thick rack also with this load. trough the neck or the lungs and this load works. the reason for it to work is the factory twist on the barrels of these two factory guns. a custom gun is another thing with a custom barrel and twist for a heavier bullet.

taylorce1

I have one in .270 Win, it's far more accurate than I am. I hated the stock as well and also put my barreled action in a McMillan Edge stock. I would recommend finding one in person and handling it first, if I had I doubt I would have bought mine due to the size of the stock. The newer generation of EW rifles might be a little better, and I've read the short action rifle stocks aren't as thick as the long.

New to me EW in .270 Win!

Edge Vs. EW

I hate to do this.....