M70 Coyote and Nikon-Pics and range report

brianidaho

Back around Christmas I bought a Win Coyote in 7WSM off of gunbroker. It's topped with a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14 mil-dot. I have adjusted the trigger and bedded the action in acra-glas gel.

All loads have been with 150 grain Sierra Match Kings. First batch of shooting was with IMR4831. First impressions with the rifle is that it fits and feels very nice to me, and that recoil is mild, due I assume to the weight of the rifle (8.5 lbs bare) and to a good stock design. With fairly hot loads, the percieved recoil is much less than my older M700 30-06 (factory stock, no pad).

Initial groups with the IMR 4831 were somewhat disappointing, running right around 1 to 1.3 inches. I shot a range of loads, all in that same general range. I then loaded up some H4831SC, from starting load (63 grain) to max (67.5 iirc). First group with this powder (63 grain) was .30, next one around .48 (only 3 shot groups). I think we are on to something. Ran out of time that day and haven't made it back to the range. I have a range of loads ready to go up to max, will have to sort out what she likes.

Anyway, here are pics of the rifle. OK, so it's my baby and I'm partial, but I really like the looks of the Coyote.

DSCF0014.jpg

17afb447.jpg

Bri

45-70

Nice Looking Gun, Good Photos

And it sounds like you are on the trail of a great load, too. If I can get groups under .5 inch, I'm already thinking about quitting the load development!;) But with your set up, it's worth seeing just what you can get out of it.

Thanks for the post. And update us on the load data, please, when you get more of it.

joshua

brianidaho, did you re-bed your Coyote? That is a very nice looking rifle, I really wish I bought one before the price hike. :D josh

brianidaho

Josh, this one I did bed, with acra-glas gel. The stock bedding on this one was the so-called hot melt bedding, it was kind of soft and part of it stuck to the action when I pulled it to adjust the trigger anyway. My first attempt at a bedding job, I'l pretty happy with the way it came out. With the spotty factory bedding the barrel was not centered in the barrel channel anyway. Not knocking Winchester, at least they made an effort at bedding, just not a real good one.

I was thinking about you when I heard the news about Winchester. I have been keeping an eye out for Coyote Lites, but never have seen a real bargin, all I have seen were $700 on up on Gunbroker. With some luck, maybe the Winchester name will live again with someone else building them by the time you are back in the states-lets hope.

I did the rings you mentioned on this one-the Burris Sig Series with the inserts. It's currently set up "flat", I need to order some inserts just in case. On the other hand as flat shooting as the 7WSM is, I may not need it. Given the barrel life issues I'll get my load development done and sort out dope at long range, then mostly use it for hunting. The Stealth will be the primary powder burner.

I'm hoping to get out tomorrow and shoot up the rest of the rounds I have loaded and settle on a load I like, if I get some decent groups I'll post pics. One good thing about the Stealth...it makes the Coyote seem light :).

45-70, I'm with you, if this thing will shoot loads that group under .5, I'm really happy. I'm just hoping it will do so with slightly hotter loads, with the data I'm seeing these loads are around 150 fps lower than published maximums. If it does worse with the hotter loads, I'll be satisfied where she is.

Bri

Flaman

I just took my 300WSM Coyote to the range for the first time, and all I can say is WOW!
I shot a bunch of 3-round groups with factory Winchester 150 grain ballistic tip ammo. I lightened the trigger to about 2-1/2 lbs, and mounted a Burris FFII 3X9X50 scope on it.
At 100 yars: The worst group I shot had the holes touching; Some of my better groups made one hole. I am impressed to say the least. The recoil was stout, but I also found it very manageable (due to to the weight of the rifle). The absolute nicest rifle I have ever owned (or fired).

Read this post: http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=200483

joshua

brianidaho, with the way you have your Coyote set up you can take some pretty long shot on games. I consider 500 yards extreme long range when shooting game now. Looking forward to seeing how she does on paper.

flaman, your another satisfied Model70/WSM customer. Great for you and I'm glad you got a real good shooter. Don't forget to post pics. josh

mjc

7wsm

Hi, i'm new the forum, and i found this link. I recently bought a model 70 Super Shadow, also in 7wsm.I haven't had a chance to work up any loads, so i'm gonna steal yours:D I live in Moscow, but have some land near St Maries,that i go to most weekends. I'm new to Idaho, and don't know any other handloaders/ serious shooters, maybe we can get together and burn up some powder/ compare loads sometime :) .

brianidaho

mjc, would be great to get together sometime, there are a number of pretty active shooters around here. H4831SC seems to be what a bunch of guys are running in 7WSMs. You might want to check out shortmags.org for more info on reloading the WSMs, there are links to some load data and a number of forums where guys pass on info.