M66 Trapdoor Shoots

Tidewater_Kid

I finally got to take the 2nd Allin M1866 Trapdoor to the range today. I added a repro rod and sling for the occasion. I had to knock the empties out with a range rod, but it works! After all the effort and money it works!
Doc the front sight is just right for the load I was using. The first low shot was just to see exactly where it was hitting.
The target was at 50 yards. I hit the 100 yard gong 3 times in 5 shots. Not bad for a 147 year old rifle.

TK
Trapdoor-target.jpg

M66-Trapdoor.jpg

Last edited:
Shoots good, but isn't that an Enfield cleaning rod? I better do some research to find out what sort of cleaning rods the Trapdoor had.

Doc Hoy

Prolly not much of a consideration but...

If you have to do much of that knocking the case loose... You might want to take along a wooden dowel rod.

Tidewater_Kid

As far as I know the rod is a correct reproduction for the early Trapdoors. It looked the same as the pictures I saw. It doesn't really matter.

I take a fiberglass rod to the range for cleaning and such.

TK

Hawg

As far as I know the rod is a correct reproduction for the early Trapdoors. It looked the same as the pictures I saw.

Yep, just looked them up. It is correct for the 1866. It is the same style as the Enfield rod tho.