M66 Replacement?

Doyle

I'm thinking the 686 is a bit bigger and heavier than the 66. I'm not sure if there is a direct replacement now. You can go bigger (like the 686) or you can step down in size to a J frame (Model 60).

carguychris

Out of S&W's current catalog, the closest you'll get is:
  • Model 686- it's .357Mag but it's built on the larger L frame and has a heavy full-underlug barrel.
  • Model 67- it's built on the K frame but it's .38Spl.
FWIW S&W marketed the L frame Model 620 as somewhat of a de facto M66 replacement. The good news is that it lacks the M686's underlug barrel. The bad news is that it's been discontinued for two years now, it had a 2-piece barrel (similar units had a reputation for catastrophic failure on other S&W models), and it was only available in one configuration: 4" barrel, red ramp front sight, 7rd cylinder, WITH the internal lock. The M66 was available in many more configurations than this.

IOW as Doyle said, there is no direct replacement.

Guy B. Meredith

Thanks. Now that I'm in "shall issue" Oregon rather than "not on your life" California, I'm thinking of putting some concealed carry gear together.

I do not care for semi autos and do not want to even theoretically put my M66 in danger of ending up in an evidence locker for some indefinite time so am looking for something similar. I would be interested in something as close to full size as I find I can reasonably carry. The M66 is 4".

Still thinking through the .38 spl and ringing ears vs the .357 with the attendant noise. My hearing is on the decline and I don't want to rush it in the event I find I actually have to use the revolver without protection. Maybe slim chance, but it only takes one time.

18DAI

There has not been a replacement for the model 66.....or any of the K-frame magnums for that matter. Just as well, as the current company calling itself S&W would have put the idiot lock in them and cheapened the design with all their other cost cutting measures. The so called "classic" series is an example of what they call a S&W revolver. :rolleyes:

When the model 66 officially was discontinued (2004, at the 66-8, which bore little resemblance to a real 66) S&W announced the model 620 as the 66's "replacement". The 620 was one of the "innovative" guns. A seven shot L-frame with a higher bore axis, internal lock, ugly integral frame bolster, ugly MIM hammer and trigger, frame mounted firing pin and a two piece barrel with an after though looking nut on the end at the muzzle. Ugly and overpriced for what it was, it was discontinued due to lack of interest.

Thankfully there were many very nice 66's made in past years, so theres no reason to settle for lesser revolvers. I've just recently picked up a LNIB 4" 66-4. Everything you need in a revolver and nothing you don't! ;) Get one! Regards 18DAI

carguychris

Still thinking through the .38 spl and ringing ears vs the .357 with the attendant noise.
If this is the case, I would also add an older M15 or M67 to your shopping list. There are oodles of them out there, particularly the former, and cheap LE trade-ins pop up on GB from time to time. BE WARNED: The M67 was produced for a few years recently with a two-piece barrel that HAS suffered a good number of documented failures. I would avoid these. Plenty of older (and newer) M67s have been produced with a standard-style barrel, so there's no reason to buy a two-piece M67 for fear of not being able to find another one.

There's another interesting possibility for carry: the Model 315NG "Night Guard". This is a 6-shot .38Spl K frame with a 2-1/2" barrel, lightweight scandium alloy frame, front night sight, an XS Sight Systems "Extreme Duty" fixed rear sight, and somewhat fugly Pachmayr grips. It's similar to the currently offered "Night Guard" series guns. It's the only recently-manufactured lightweight carry-oriented K frame, and the only lightweight K frame ever produced with a scandium frame that's officially rated for +P ammo.

That's the good news. The bad news? S&W evidently only sold a few hundred of them and dropped them from the catalog after only one year (2010). S&W collectors got wind of this and have driven the resale price up to ~$1,000. :eek: However, perhaps you'll run into a LGS that still has one for close to MSRP...? :rolleyes:

BigJimP

actually if you're concerned about it ...I would just add another model 66 ( or the older model 19 ) to your inventory .../ I have both - and like them both ...but if I had one that was really a "favorite" ....instead of carry it, I'd carry one that I picked up that might have a little holster wear or something...but was still 100% in terms of operating efficiency / timing, etc...

Model 19's were made either blued or in Nickel ...and there are lots of them out there...and there are lots of model 66's out there as well.

The 686 with the full length lug ...is a nice gun / but like others said, its an L frame and the full length lug ...gives it a different feel.

10mm4ever

The older, K frame 66 packed so many desirable traits into one package. There's no better fighting 357 under the sun, than a 4 in 66, IMO. While the 686 is still great, it just doesnt handle quite as well and the full length underlug has alot to do with that.

Guy B. Meredith

I agree on the M66. I was just curious as to whether anything new had been added along the same lines as I lost track at the introduction of the 620.

I'd like to have a chance to check out some of the new J frames (I believe at least one had the .357 magnum option), but failing that I think another M66 without the sentimental value or an M19 top the list.

Then on to holsters. For semi autos I'd probably do one of the push button Kydex thingies, but the options for a larger revolver don't seem quite so clear. More researching and try outs required.

Webleymkv

While you'd still have to scour the used market, a nice M13 or M65 would also make good CCW revolvers if you aren't adverse to fixed sights. As to holsters, I carry my own M66 in an El Paso Saddlery #88 and find that to be the best balance of comfort and concealability.

orionengnr

There is no replacement for an M66. :)

Keep an eye out and buy another M66 or the blued M19 (prettier, but more susceptible to damage).

Remember, you can always carry .38 Spl ammo in a .357....but not vice versa. I currently own zero .38 Spl revolvers, for exactly that reason.

Nosparetime

Guy:

I had a call last Sunday from a man that has a model 19 in the box but used. He took it to settle a bill and wants to sell it. He is only about 10 miles from you. If you are interested I can give you his name. Private sales in Oregon require no paperwork.

Loren