M48 Mauser Loose Front Sight

Armed_Chicagoan

I just bought this a few weeks ago, shot it for the first time Friday. It was shooting about 6 inches to the right at 50 yards, upon inspection I found that the front sight (not the dovetail) was loose and had rotated to the left, thus point of aim was too far right. I assume this is soldered on, and if so can I fix it just by turning it back to the right position and heating it with a torch to melt the solder?

James K

Member In Memoriam
The Mauser front sight base is not soldered on; it is held by a screw under the sight. Drive the sight out of the dovetail and tighten the screw into the hole that is already there.

Jim

Armed_Chicagoan

OK I'll drift the sight out of the dovetail and see if the screw tightens. Don't know if I'll have time tomorrow but definitely this week.

Armed_Chicagoan

Well that was much easier than I thought! That tiny clamp screw doesn't seem like the best way to secure a front sight but it is what it is I guess. Left the hood off for now because I'll probably have to adjust the sight next time I shoot.

Thanks James K!

wpsdlrg

The front sight band IS supposed to be soldered on - the set screw is only secondary. At least, that is true on all the M48's I've seen. If all that is holding yours on is the SCREW, well, there's your problem.

Armed_Chicagoan

There was no sign of solder ever being under the band, put 60 rounds through it today and it's still tight loose again! So it looks like it was supposed to be soldered but never was, what sort of solder should I use on it? I have some solder and flux I use for copper pipes, is this suitable for a rifle or should I use a different type?

Had to set the rear sight to the 600 meter mark to get it dead on at 100 yards, go figure!

Last edited:

Dixie Gunsmithing

Moderator Emeritus
For that, plain solder and flux like you have will do it. Clean it well, flux, then sweat it. Take the heat away as soon as the solder is drawn into the joint, so you don't overheat it.

Armed_Chicagoan

OK, I think I got it now. Took 2 attempts, first time I was too tentative and I don't think I heated it enough. I loosened the screw and it came right off, no solder was drawn under the band. 2nd try I heated it more, and it appeared to take some solder. I couldn't even loosen the screw this time and didn't want to force it, it may well be soldered in. The best part is it didn't discolor the barrel at all. :)