M44 Mosin-Nagant bolt sticks

ZeusOne

I have a Hungarian M44 Mosin-Nagant 7.62x54R. I bought it as a beater, but I have grown to love it for some reason. Only difficulty is this: After the trigger has been pulled and the firing pin has released, the bolt handle is extremely difficult to rotate upwards and open. This happens regardless of whether or not it was live or dry fire! Once the firing pin is cocked again, the bolt rotates freely.

Any ideas on how to correct this?

El Rojo

That is the design.

When the weapon is fired or dry fired, the firing pin goes forward. In order to recharge the firing pin and spring, the bolt must be rotated. When you open the bolt, it is pulling the firing pin back and that is why it is so hard to open. Now that the firing pin is back, whenever you open and close the bolt, it does not need to pull it back, therefore, it is easier to manipulate. Does that make sense?

In otherwords, that is the way the gun works.

Hard Ball

I aquired my Model 44 Mosin-Nagant 7.62x54R back in 1952 and it works exactly the way you describe. You might try lubricating tour bolt with Break Free. That may help.

John/az2

Mosin-Nagants are cool, fun, cheap guns to buy and shoot!

Someone described them like potato chips; you can't stop at just one!

My bolt sticks on occasion, but I have not lubed it yet.

Destructo6

When was the last time you stripped the bolt? It may have been assembled improperly, such as the firing pin being screwed too far into the cocking piece which would make it compress the spring more than it was designed. The rear of my firing pin is almost flush with the back of the cocking piece.

Erich

You know, I've noted a few (not many) similar posts over on Tuco's Mosin Nagant Dot Net. Never having had the sticky bolt problem myself, I've never bothered to read them. You might consider going over to Tuco's, going into the forums, and posting this question in the Workbench area.

Good luck - gotta love those Mosins! (I was the guy with the "potato chip" remark . . . too true, alas.)