M4 Carbine Question... (extreme conditions) Military or Exmilitary Should Know This.

M4A3

How many rounds can be continuously fired before the barrel becomes "too hot"? And if the rifle were to be submerged, what is the best was to clear the water from the barrel before you shoot or does water even need to be cleared from the barrel?

Navy joe

You said it yourself recently in another post, "Sustained rate of fire 12-15 rounds per minute". That's military speak for how fast you can shoot without the barrel getting too hot.

Water, open bolt partially and tilt weapon down, water comes out the hole in the front end. Any barrel obstruction is a bad idea. Muzzlecap/condom(no glow in the dark please) to keep out of the rain. If submerged, stand up, get out of water and stop pretending to be a SEAL. ;) There, weapon dry.

M4A3

"Sustained rate of fire 12-15 rounds per minute".
Well it's got to be more than that. I've run off a full 30 round mag at the range in about 15 seconds shooting semi-auto. The barrel was hot but didn't seem over heated.

I'm takling about, 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 etc.. etc... 30 reload 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 like that. What like maby 4 30 round mags of constant shooting before the Danger Zone?

If submerged, stand up, get out of water and stop pretending to be a SEAL. There, weapon dry.
Does any body serously know the proper way.

I saw on a Marines comercial, some Marines coming out of a swamp or somthing from being completly under water. And I thought "well what if that needed to shoot like right then"?

Well it's got to be more than that. I've run off a full 30 round mag at the range in about 15 seconds shooting semi-auto. The barrel was hot but didn't seem over heated.

12-15 rounds per minute is the sustained rate of fire. That is the rate you can continue to fire your carbine for an indefinite period without the barrel becoming overheated.

I'd aim for the lower end of that rate since carbines don't dissipate heat near as well as a 20" govt' profile barrel will. However, the Knight's RAS system on your SR-15 offers much better cooling than the standard carbine handguards, so you might be able to push it more towards 15 per minute.

If you are talking about how many rounds you can fire immediately, you'll hit cook-off in about 140 rounds firing "rapidly and continuously".

http://www.lepsa.org/Trainer's Archives/Firearms Safety/M16 cookoffs.htm

GROUND PRECAUTIONARY MESSAGE
ACALA #97-03
DATE: R 051413Z NOV 96
CLASSIFICATION: UNCLASSIFIED (1nn)
SUBJECT: GROUND PRECAUTIONARY MESSAGE (GPM), 97-03 5.56MM M4A1 CARBINE

1. DISTRIBUTION: {MENU} THIS IS A GROUND PRECAUTIONARY MESSAGE THAT HAS NOT BEEN TRANSMITTED TO SUBORDINATE UNITS. SOCOM COMMANDERS WILL IMMEDIATELY RETRANSMIT THIS MESSAGE TO ALL SUBORDINATE UNITS, ACTIVITIES
OR ELEMENTS AFFECTED OR CONCERNED. RETRANSMITTAL SHALL REFERENCE THIS MESSAGE. SOCOM COMMANDERS WILL VERIFY RECEIPT WHEN RETRANSMITTING THIS MESSAGE BY SENDING AN INFO COPY OF THE RETRANSMITTAL TO DIRECTOR,
TACOM-ACALA, AMSTA-AC-ASIR, ROCK ISLAND, IL.

2. PROBLEM DISCUSSION:

A. SUMMARY OF PROBLEM: SEVERAL INCIDENTS OF COOK-OFFS, IN AND OUT OF BATTERY, AS WELL AS BURST BARRELS, HAVE OCCURRED WITH THE 5.56MM M4A1 CARBINE. THESE INCIDENTS HAVE RESULTED IN INJURIES TO WEAPON USERS. THESE INCIDENTS RESULT FROM FIRING NUMEROUS ROUNDS WITHIN A SHORT AMOUNT OF TIME WITHOUT ADEQUATE COOLING.

(1) COOK-OFFS OCCUR WHEN A LIVE ROUND IS LEFT IN THE CHAMBER OR IN CONTACT WITH THE CHAMBER OF A HOT WEAPON AND HEATS TO THE POINT THAT THE PROPELLANT IS IGNITED.

(A) SUSTAINED FIRING OF THE M16 SERIES RIFLES OR M4 SERIES CARBINES WILL RAPIDLY RAISE THE TEMPERATURE OF THE BARREL TO A CRITICAL POINT.

(B) FIRING 140 ROUNDS, RAPIDLY AND CONTINUOUSLY, WILL RAISE THE TEMPERATURE OF THE BARREL TO THE COOK-OFF POINT. AT THIS TEMPERATURE, ANY LIVE ROUND REMAINING IN THE CHAMBER FOR ANY REASON MAY COOK-OFF (DETONATE) IN AS SHORT A PERIOD AS 10 SECONDS.

(C) WHEN THE WEAPON HAS REACHED THE COOK-OFF POINT (OR TEMPERATURE) A ROUND SHOULD NOT BE LEFT IN THE CHAMBER FOR ANY LENGTHY PERIOD OF TIME. THE WEAPON SHOULD BE CLEARED AND THE BOLT LOCKED TO THE REAR TO ALLOW COOL
DOWN.

(D) SUSTAINED RATE OF FIRE FOR THE M16 SERIES RIFLES AND M4 SERIES CARBINES IS 12-15 ROUNDS PER MINUTE. THIS IS THE ACTUAL RATE OF FIRE THAT A WEAPON CAN CONTINUE TO BE FIRED FOR AN Indefinite LENGTH OF TIME WITHOUT SERIOUS OVERHEATING.

(E) THE SUSTAINED RATE OF FIRE SHOULD NEVER BE EXCEEDED EXCEPT UNDER CIRCUMSTANCES OF EXTREME URGENCY. (NOTE: A HOT WEAPON TAKES APPROXIMATELY 30 MINUTES TO COOL TO AMBIENT TEMPERATURE CONDITIONS).

(F) THE USER'S MANUAL (TM 9-1005-319-10) FOR THE M16 SERIES RIFLE AND M4/M4A1 CARBINE STATES, "THAT IF A MISFIRE OCCURS IN A HOT WEAPON, REMOVE THE ROUND FAST (WITHIN TEN SECONDS). IF THE ROUND CANNOT BE REMOVED
WITHIN TEN SECONDS, REMOVE THE MAGAZINE FROM THE WEAPON, POINT THE WEAPON IN A SAFE DIRECTION AND WAIT FOR 15 MINUTES."

(G) CAUTION SHOULD BE TAKEN BY THE USERS TO KEEP THEIR FACE AWAY FROM THE EJECTION PORT WHILE CLEARING A HOT WEAPON.

(2) COOK-OFFS OUT OF BATTERY RESULT FROM A ROUND WHICH COOKS OFF WHEN THE BOLT IS NOT LOCKED OR A ROUND WHICH COOKS OFF AS THE USER IS TRYING TO CLEAR THE WEAPON.

(3) BURST BARRELS RESULT WHEN THE WEAPONS ARE FIRED UNDER VERY EXTREME FIRING SCHEDULES AND THE BARREL TEMPERATURE EXCEEDS 1360 DEGREES FAHRENHEIT. WHEN THE BARREL REACHES THESE EXTREME TEMPERATURES, THE BARREL STEEL WEAKENS TO THE POINT THAT THE HIGH PRESSURE GASES BURST THROUGH THE SIDE OF THE BARREL APPROXIMATELY 4 INCHES IN FRONT OF THE CHAMBER. THIS CONDITION CAN RESULT IN SERIOUS INJURY.

B. PARTS, ASSEMBLY, OR COMPONENTS TO BE INSPECTED: NA

3. USER ACTIONS. {MENU}

A. TASK OR INSPECTION SUSPENSE DATE (IF APPLICABLE): N/A

B. REPORTING COMPLIANCE SUSPENSE DATE: N/A

C. INSPECTION PROCEDURES: N/A

D. CORRECTION PROCEDURES: RANGE PERSONNEL AND USERS SHOULD AVOID EXCEEDING THE MAXIMUM AND SUSTAINED RATES OF FIRE DESCRIBED IN THE USER'S MANUAL FOR THE M16 SERIES RIFLES AND M4 SERIES CARBINE. USERS SHOULD BE TRAINED ON
THE CAUSES AND HAZARDS OF COOK-OFF. BETWEEN FIRING SCHEDULES, ADEQUATE WEAPON COOLING TIME SHOULD BE ALLOWED.

Redlg155

Even though it seems like you could shoot more rounds through your weapon during a short time period, you can't without the danger of a cookoff as mentioned above..or worse.

I think the movies are just as much to blame for this. We always see guys ripping off magazine after magazine of ammo. Well, in real life you have your basic combat load and perhaps a couple extra mags loaded before you either have a serious problem.

Have fun, but don't push the limits too much. You may find yourself rebarelling your beloved Knight soon.

Good Shooting
Red

Navy joe

Water, open bolt partially and tilt weapon down, water comes out the hole in the front end. Any barrel obstruction is a bad idea.

See, I did give the proper way. Now if you go and shoot 12rpm for 30 minutes (360 rounds / 12 mags) you will find your barrel quite hot. You will have also exceeded the basic load of most all infantrymen, in other words you're out of ammo. The M4 is a individual rifle/carbine, not a SAW or Light machine gun. You cannot easily swap barrels on the M4 and it fires from a closed bolt, unlike the open bolt of most every sustained fire weapon. Use it like a rifle and you'll have no problems.

I saw on a Marines comercial, some Marines coming out of a swamp or somthing from being completly under water. And I thought "well what if that needed to shoot like right then"?

Sorry, I guess I was one service off in my original comment. The SEALs, Marines whatever do that because sometimes there's no other way to get the job done. It's a little far out to imagine doing the same with your civilian M4gry or whatever. If you need to, see above, open bolt, drain from muzzle. Otherwise, keep your rifle dry. More shooting, less TV is good for all of us. ;)

M4A3

Thaky you all very much for you're information you have given me. You answered all of my questions. I hope to retuirn the favor some time for you.

Thanks,
SR

uglygun

I've heard that bore diameter with the 22 is small enough that not all water will drain from them freely, something about a water droplett's surface tension being enough for it to adhere to the bore better than if it was in something larger like mabye a 30cal. rifle or a 45cal. handgun. A large water droplet could basically engulf the full diameter of a 22cal. bore, not having much weight/mass the droplet probably won't drain too freely on it's own with only the pull of gravity. This makes sense actually, it's possible to see the same thing with a ordinary drinking straw when sipping on a soda bought from the local fast food joint.

I've heard that upon exiting the water a downward "barrel whip" can be made to use centrifugal force to help eject the water from the bore, might be easier or more effective combined with an open/locked bolt.

I've been told that there is no need to worry about the gas tube, it will drain or clear automatically upon firing or that it's possible for it to not even get much water into it due to surface tension around such a small little tube and the way the parts of the gastube and gas key on the carrier fit so closely. If air can't escape then it's likely that water can't get in, or atleast not a whole lot of it.

As for the professionals out there who's job has them swimming around with their firearms, whether or not there is time to properly clear the barrel depending on certain situations that might arise, heck if I know.

The idea of bringing a high powered rifle out from being submerged and firing it with a barrel full of water isn't a pleasing thought to me, risks might be worth it though to shoot with as little hesitation as possible if your life is in immediate danger. I wonder what exactly might be going through their mind if they are about to do something similar, or if they have done it outside of an urgent combat situation just for informational or educational experience?

MrMurphy

A Marine friend of mine who has shot an M4 lots and lots (far more than I have) has told me 4 mags full-auto one right after another will get the barrel glowing hot.

And for the water in the muzzle, do the old fashioned trick of strapping a condom over the muzzle and electrical-taping it in place. Looks funny, but it works. The Brits did it in the Falklands, our guys apparently did it a lot in Vietnam and I know several former-SEAL types who've mentioned doing it in their various books.

A couple of things to remember:

1) A rate of fire of 12 rounds per minute can be sustained but it will still make the barrel hot and the gun itself nice and toasty. Rapid shooting and heat buildup are hard on a barrel and shorten its effective lifespan just like driving your car at a 120mph is harder on it than driving it at 60mph. Firing 12rpm is still enough to smoke all the CLP off the barrel and turn it white in about 20 minutes.

2) The number of rounds to cook off listed above is a little on the cautious side in my limited experience; but cook off is a very dangerous situation you don't want to find out about anyway. A lot of things effect how fast the weapon might cook off - thickness of barrel, type of handguards, weather. Don't assume you can get away with firing 120 rounds "rapidly and continuously" just because the magic number is supposed to be 140.

James K

Member In Memoriam
Don't take lessons from the movies or TV. Those folks are shooting blanks, using propane guns, or (more and more) are firing nothing, with the muzzle flashes and sound added later in an editing process (the way the "light sabers" were inserted into the Star Wars films).

Even blanks are not used much today after some idiotic actors shot themselves thinking blanks are harmless. The insurance companies and the lawyers have about stopped the use of blanks on movie sets.

Jim