M4 barrel upgrade suggestions

HJ857

Most of my shooting is in the areas of 2 gun and 3 gun competitions where benchrest level accuracy is not important. However I just ran a competition where the rifle was used in a much more DMR style and there is a definite emphasis on accuracy.

So with that I've been using a basic Bushmaster Patrolman upper, and it's never been real accurate, I've been able to get a couple groups in the 2.25" range, which I think are luck groups, so I'd say the actual average is more like 4.5"

Just as a comparison I also have a NM upper and I can shoot match rounds to 5/8" pretty easily. That same upper will shoot my standard combat loads to an average of an inch, some a bit less, some a bit more, but a solid inch average. So I don't think it's my shooting ability.

My last competition I had to engage some pretty small targets and out of 15 targets I think I only hit three of them, which is lame.

I'm thinking that maybe my "cone of accuracy" or the 4.5 moa capability of this barrel is a weak link and I should upgrade.

That's the basic question I'm asking, what barrels do you all recommend to get an accuracy upgrade?

I need it to be M4 profile, and for financial reasons I need to re-use my current gas block (low profile with integrated folding front sight) and carbine length handguards (DD Omega).

Any ideas and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

DBAR

I use the Recon Barrel from Denny's Guns, but you can also find the same barrel at White Oaks Armament. WOA makes the barrel for Denny, or at least they used to.

They are very accurate. I went shooting yesterday with some friends, and I was shooting .75, 1.5, and 2 moa 5 shot groups at 600 yds with M855, and Radway 62 gn Nato ammunition. I'd say those are pretty good groups for a 16" barrel.

If you haven't already invested in a good trigger, you may want to. That will improve the size of your groups over night.

Edit: The WOA barrel doesn't have a M4 Profile, but it is the same diameter at the gas block. I have the same gas block/front sight as you do and it work wonderfully. Mine is a mid length gas system, but if you contact WOA, I'm sure they can make one for you. Gas port location is an easy detail.

3rd post on this threa. http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=376401

DBAR

Last edited:

Jimro

I recommend a Bushmaster 16" heavy barrel carbine upper to swap out with the upper you already have, especially if you want to use it for the rest of your 3 gun competitions without swapping back to your current upper.

Some say that a chrome lined barrel isn't as accurate, but in my experience the practical accuracy difference isn't noticeable.

Jimro

HJ857

Hey all, thanks for the replies.

DBAR, I looked at WOA for my match upper and sort of forgot about them since. Definitely a compelling option there that I'll be looking at closely. My setup is similar to yours, but using a Burris XTR 1x4 on a LaRue SPR-E mount, RRA NM lpk. Nice photo too.

PDXGS, thanks for the Bushmaster link. I'm a little leary of Bushmaster right now, but that may be unfair since my current combat competition upper is about the cheapest model they make. It's run perfectly too, so I need to take a new look at that option. Noveske I'm familiar with but is not likely to be in the budget anytime soon. And I don't need mil-spec. My combat load is a generic 55 grain soft point that shoots plenty good enough (other than this past weekend). Using 26.7 grains Reloder 15. My match load is 24.8 grains of R-15 with a 69g SMK and that's a very fine load. By the way, love that sig line you have.

brian923

+1 for WOA
i have an 18" spr woa barrel on my upper,and it will shoot everything i give into at least 1.5" (no wolf. i hate wolf) my handloads, with benchmark powder, and 68 gr, hornady HPBT will go into a 4 shot group of .255" with a cold barrel shot making a 5 shot group of .560". i havent shoot this load very much, so im sure i can get it better.

myar15andmy560inchgroup.jpg

i love this rifle, and will always build all my next rifles with WOA barrels. john is also an easy guy to talk to. i called and asked if he could use a barrel blank i had to make a 6x45 and he said it was know problem, and wanted 100.00 bucks. everyone eles wanted 200.00 and fro me to use one of there blanks. brian