M39 Firing Pin(Nagant)

PATH

I just replaced the firing pin on my nagant. Most of the hits on the primer are solid hits. Some hits are going through the primers. What might be the problem? What do you suggest?

George Stringer

Staff Alumnus
The primers could be pierced because the firing pin is too long or the nose shaped to sharply. They can also be pierced when the ammo is too high pressure. Check your firing pin protrusion. It should be between .060" and .065". If even the primers that aren't being pierced are flattening it may indicate that the ammo you are using is borderline for that particular rifle. George

midnight

Do all military bolt action rifles have a specified firing pin protrusion? I have been doing some work on my 96 Swede Mauser bolt assembly, and was wondering what the specified protrusion is?

Thanks
Jeff

PATH

George,

Interesting development. The military surplus Berdan primed ammo has a primer that is recessed a bit. The Boxer primed Sellier&Bellot has a primer that is not recessed at all. I also thought that the military primer was tough/ Pulled a few bullets and gave the primers a whack several times to get them to go.
I believe the firing pin was set to strike the recessed Berdan primers. In any case the pin is fixed and strikes the boxer primed just fine. Tried six boxer primers and all were good hits with no penetration of the primer.

Thank you for the help!

PATH

M2HMGHB

Might want to pick up a manual on the nagants. I love my M39 never had a problem with her but i had problems on my 91/30 with her interupter ejector so i replaced that and havent had any problems. I recommend the manual by Terence Lapin. It's very informative and gives you trouble shooting advice.

Scott