M1C/D at Sniper School

kraigwy

Alaska NG Eskimo Scout BN's. Sniper school, early 80s. Teaching these schools is where I really learned to shoot Garands.

M1C-D%20Sniper%20School.jpg

bamaranger

great photo

Thanks Kraig

I had absolutely no idea that M1C/D's were still in an NG inventory into the 80's.......wow.

The Garand sniper has always fascinated me, but one nevers sees much material on it, least I haven't.

I have a bunch of questions and will PM same. Thanks again for a great pic.

kraigwy

PM answered.

I forgot to mention the radical on the M-84. Its a 3 MOA post, meaning its .03 inches wide. To use the same example as the e-silhouette target as I mentioned about the iron sights, if the M-84 radical is the same width as th 19 inch target, the range would be 633 yards. (19/.03 = 633)

tosainu1

awesome pic

However, what is up with the guy standing up with no headgear on and with his hands in his pockets? And how about the couple of guys with headgear on backwards? That must have been ok in the NG in the 80's but would'nt have happened when i was in the Army..Maybe it's an Alaska thing...

rickyrick

Dang sure looks like a hat to me.

I was in the army for a decade and a half. We put our hands in our pockets all of the time, so get over it... its just a minor infraction that most intelligent soldiers overlooked.

That's a cool pic for me Kraig thanks for posting.

kraigwy

what is up with the guy standing up with no headgear on and with his hands in his pockets?

I was the OIC of this school, I was more interested in instructing a given topic, or better put, THE MISSION, not playing the "pretty army" game.

Maybe I was a poor officer, and a worse NCO (I was an E-7 when I went to OCS), but I figured harassing the enlisted was not my main goal in life.

I wasn't that way as a company commander either, in fact I fired my first Sgt for his over Zelous harassment of the junior enlisted.

I've had regular army in my sniper and machine gun schools and other classes. After each class the students were required to fill out an after action critique of the instructors and class. Almost to a individual, they stated they got more out of the class because there was no petty BS army crap.

I teach marksmanship not how to wear a hat or where to put your hands.

bamaranger

interested

Hey kraig.

I could work for you. You interested in a Supv Park Ranger job?

I've got a 35 yr old Supv who is fascinated w/ hats and such.

kraigwy

You interested in a Supv Park Ranger job?

LOL no, the Park Rangers don't hire old men, though I don't know why, they have trees and I can teach a pretty good class on how to set under a shade tree.

All kidding asside, I am scheduled to teach a Urban Counter Sniper class to the DHS/FPS in the Portland area after the first of the year. I might sugest they wear hats, it rains a bit in Portland.