M1A stock

jetsfan

May sound dumb but I have a question regarding the stocks on the M1A. The regular walnut stock that comes on the standard size M1A rifles will also fit the scout squad rifles correct? If not what is the difference in size?

Thanks

azredhawk44

Yes, the stock is interchangeable between the 18" and 22" rifles.

The key here is the distance to the gas system, which is the same.

Changing stocks repeatedly will not be conducive to accuracy, however.

jetsfan

Thanks guys! I am looking at getting a scout squad but I wanted to change out the black stock for the wood stock so I wanted to be sure it would work. The synthetics are ok looking but the wood just looks sharp.

lipadj46

That it does you can make it look even sharper with some boiled linseed oil, steel wool and some time. The walnut stocks from SAI (Boyd's) do not come with the best finish, mine was actually pretty bad so I fixed it. Looks like a million now.

Paochow

Thanks guys! I am looking at getting a scout squad but I wanted to change out the black stock for the wood stock so I wanted to be sure it would work. The synthetics are ok looking but the wood just looks sharp.

I realize this may be a dealer stock issue, but you could just buy a scout in walnut to begin with. When I bought mine, the price was very similar for the different stocks. Granted this was before all of the crazy buying happened.

Not that it mattered, I ended up switching over to a Sage stock. Better accuracy and less felt recoil and muzzle rise, but it doesn't have those classic lines anymore...

IMG_4847.jpg

27b7e335.jpg

jetsfan

I got a good price on a almost new scout with a synthetic but I want to put wood on it. I will just keep the synthetic for future use.