M1A: Standard or Scout Squad

EdInk

Other than the barrel length what (if any) are the differences between the Springfield Armory M1A Standard and the Scout Squad model rifles? The only thing I can see is the Scout Squad seem to have a built in rail for optics. Are they different internally or anything?

AK103K

Ive owned all three lengths, still have a NM. I were to buy another, it would be the standard. The shorter guns really dont offer any improvement, and in the case of the SOCOM, reduce the guns effectiveness.

checkmyswag

If you want a shorter quicker handling gun they are an improvement. Ballistics wise they aren't. Depends what you're after. I was after an affordable rifle so didn't end up with an M1A at all. Maybe sometime.

AK103K

They may be shorter, but they really dont handle any different. They all weigh pretty much the same, as the few inches in barrel you give up only translates to a few ounces.

Therealkoop

I have the scout/squad and love it. I dont like the drawbacks of the SOCOM and have no problems with the full size. I just liked the feel of the 18" better.

checkmyswag

They may be shorter, but they really dont handle any different. They all weigh pretty much the same, as the few inches in barrel you give up only translates to a few ounces.

Agree they aren't noticeably lighter, but I found the SOCOM 16 handier. That being said I've shot no M1A's so AK103K's advice is worth more.

Hat

i just ordered a m1a scout squad, my reasoning was that with any weapon platform, and especially the m14 platform a certain amount of barrel "wobble" is present, this wobble is caused by moving parts and basic functioning of the weapon, and a shorter barrel is more rigid than a longer one, therefore at shorter ranges the scout just might out preform the full sized version, of course at longer ranges the loss in velocity would become apparent but my reasoning is that the 18" barrel won't suffer performance wise very much and will still provide for a more easy to maneuver weapon, oh and internally they are identical, the scout does come with a top rail for a red dot or reflex sight and a muzzle break (to keep barrel down to aid in follow up shots) and in addition i believe the scout may have a thinner front sight than the standard, not sure on that though

Last edited:

Ben Towe

I have the Scout Squad and love it. I think the sights are the same as full sized M1A, unless of course you are talking about a National Match with it's National Match sights...

SR420

Keep them short

Our military currently uses M14s with 22.0" and 18.0" barrels with great effect.

My personal favorite for civilian use is the 18.0" MK14. That said, I also love my 16.25" CQB-16 EBR type SEI.

madcratebuilder

The weight difference between the three length models is really only a few oz's. The 16" SOCOM is just under 9lbs(8.8), the 18" Scout is right at 9lbs(9.1) and the 22"standard is just over 9lbs(9.3). The stock material, and if you have any rails, change this weight. They are 37", 40" and 44" in overall length. Changing magazine capacity was as big effect on weight as the barrel length.:rolleyes:

Therealkoop

I have the Scout Squad and love it. I think the sights are the same as full sized M1A, unless of course you are talking about a National Match with it's National Match sights...

The front sight on the scout is a NM but its taller to compensate for the change in sight geometry from the standard barrel.