m1a socom 16 opinions

9ballbilly

I took a look at one of these in the LGS today. Liked everything about it but the price. Still I expect my life circumstances to change quite a bit in the next few months and am considering selling a couple that no longer fit the bill in order to help finance the m1a.
Wondering how you guys who have experience with them like them. I should add that it's primary uses will be SD, hunting, camping.

Ridge_Runner_5

Don't know how good a semi-auto .308 would be for a self defense situation. Unless you live on a large property, I'd see it being a great threat to those around you.

Should fit the other two quite nicely, though.

AK103K

I had a SOCOM when they first came out. I wasnt very impressed with it, and eventually sold it off.

Ive had M1A's in all three configurations. Of the three, I still prefer the original, standard rifle.

Even though the SOCOM is shorter, it still weighs basically the same as the full sized gun. Losing a few inches of barrel doesnt take much weight off.

The sights the gun comes with pretty much limit you to 100 yards or less for any kind of precision shooting. Beyond that, they are just to big/crude. On the plus side, you can replace them with a set of standard iron sights made for the Scouts. A scope or red dot will get you out farther, and of the three, I preferred the red dot, and specifically, an Aimpoint.

The rail on my gun was not a Picatinny/mil spec rail, and my mil spec mounts either did not fit properly, or not at all. Weaver type rings did work. The rail is also made of steel, and gets very hot, real quick, and stays hot for a long time. Springfield swore to me on the phone the mount was mil spec, but then again, they also swore to me the stock wasnt a badly done over GI, which it obviously was. The stock was another of my complaints.

The SOCOM's brake works, but it also annoys anyone around you when you shoot it. Ive heard some complain it was loud to shoot with, but I never noticed it while shooting, but people around did let me know. Another thing is, the whole front end is SOCOM specific, and the gas system parts are not interchangeable with the other guns.

My SOCOM was very "tight", and would not come apart without using a small screw driver. Not a real big deal, but they should come apart for cleaning without tools. Overall, the fit and finish of the gun was not as nice as the other, older Springfields Ive owned.

Jason_G

If you go M1A, I'd go Loaded, Standard, or Scout. To me they handle better than the SOCOMs, especially the SOCOM II. Plus you have the standard gas system instead of the special SOCOM system. Interchangeability with GI parts can be a good thing.

Jason

mattamuskeet

Here is a picture of the one I had. I have a lot of load and velocity data for it if you are interested. I was mighty proud of it and it was 100% reliable for the 500-600 handloaded rounds I put through it. What eventually led me to get rid of it was the fact that it was not accurate enough for me. I thought that it was reasonable to expect to hit a 10" round metal plate at 200 yards every shot. After 9 months of practicing and developing loads and trying everything, I could not do it. I had my AR-10 one day and I was ringing the plate every time. However, the Armalite does not have the aesthetics, romance or handling of the M1A, I will admit.

Attachments

• DSC01879.jpg
    DSC01879.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 41

SR420

I shot a few, but resisted buying the 16 for many years, I went with the 18, then the 22 instead.
I finally caved just over a year ago when SEI came out with their CQB-16... it's one of my favorite
M14s with the 18" Bush, Scout, MK14 Mods 0 & 1 being my favorite.

I suggest shopping for a pre-owned SOCOM 16 that needs a new home, one that can be purchased at a substantial discount.

I like the looks of them in Birch...

SOCOM16-Birch.jpg

Last edited:

SmokyBaer

My 2 cents... The Scout has 2 inches more barrel for higher velocity, way better sights and with the SEI gas lock front sight with a direct connect Vortex flash hider, that Scout will only be an inch or so longer than a stock SOCOM.

As you can probly tell, I run a Scout and love it. My next upgrade to it will be the GLFS/Vortex combo. Ever since i saw that combo it had magic. Regardless which one you get, make sure you have fun with it.

They are addictive by the way.

Flatbush Harry

I recently sold my SOCOM 16 after owning it for 4 years. I have gotten into somewhat longer range shooting, primarily with bolt actions, and felt that the velocity loss of a 6-inch shorter barrel was not consistent with the shooting I wanted to do. The fit, finish and operation of mine was just fine and I had no FTEs or FTFs in more than a thousand rounds. For a CQB rifle, it had nice sights but CQB is more of a fantasy than a likely reality in our civilian world.

I also have a Supermatch that I picked up at the Geneseo, IL factory in 1979 that is a 1 MOA shooter and I have used it in competition. While I like the M1A platform quite a bit, I have several M1 Garands that cost less than 1/2 as much and a good supply of greek HXP M2 ball that was cheaper than milsurp .308/7.62x51 so my shooting is cheaper as well. For military high power matches, I usually use my AR15 at this point though I have competed with all three platforms and enjoy them all. When shooting matches, I use either issued ammunition or my match hand loads.

I think overall, that the Scout is probably a better choice for a shorter barrel rifle but frankly see no particular utility from the shorter barreled versions compared to the standard. Were I getting my first M1A today, I would probably go with either a standard or a loaded version.

FH