M1A Scout vs FAL Clone?

HankB

I've been casually shopping for another .308 rifle that's lighter and handier than my current M1A, which is quite a handful with heavy barrel, 'scope, oversize match stock, etc. I was considering an FAL, but there are a lot of "Frankenrifle" clones out there, and the best ones (DSA?) are pricey.

I DON'T want an FAL "Project Rifle" that I'll have to send somewhere just to make it work!

Then I came across an M1A Springfield Scout rifle with synthetic stock - a lot lighter and handier than my M1A target rifle, familiar operation, etc. And with no "pistol" grip, I guess I can use a real flash hider on it and still be legal.

So . . . does anyone have experience with the M1A scout, or can anyone who has experience with both tell me why this version of the M1A would be better than an FAL carbine...or vice versa?

ATTICUS

I don't think that the Scout model is THAT much lighter...is it? That forward scope mount adds quite a bit of weight. The Scout is a great rifle, but since you already have an M1A, why not try something different? There are complete Imbel and/or DSA Austian kit rifles available for around $900. These are high quality, pre-assembled rifles, and contain all the legal US parts. The best part is that preban FAL metric 20 round mags can be had for $5, not $50.

I just started the FAL "frankenrifle" project myself, and it does require some effort. It takes some effort trying to figure out how to satisfy the BATF while saving money and ending up with a good final product. Oh well... live and learn.

C.R.Sam

FAL good. Easy to work on. Reliable. Large and few parts makes it easy to find things in the rug when playin with it.

Sam

RikWriter

Get a DSA FAL...mags are much cheaper, disassembly is very quick and intuitive and the ergonomics are better.

leej

I am not a big fan of scout rifles but in this particular instance I would recommend the scout rifle.

I waited for years and years before I finally had enough jack to get a first class FN Fal and have been less than thrilled with it compared to my M1A.

I prefer the convention stock of the M1A. You can snap it to your shoulder light years faster than the straight stocked FN.

The M1a safety is located in the trigger guard and can instantly be pushed off. Try getting at the FN safety , unless your thumb is as long an a Gorrilla you will have to shift your grip to the extreme to try and get the safety off.

The M1A's gas system is non-ajustable but has worked for me with everything from low power Cast Bullet loads to full power military loads to milder National Match loads.

The FN has driven me nuts with its troublesome gas system. I often have to play with it when shifting between match loads of say 168 grain bullets and hotter faster military 150 grain loads.

Also the gas tubes on the meteric guns often break their soldered on welds and then start to leak and the Inch pattern guns are not soldered and they constantly leak around the threads. What a headache.

I have found the average trigger pull on the M1A is usally much better than the FN and also there are many gunsmiths that specialize in trigger jobs for the MIa if you are interested in Match shooting. Gunsmiths do exist for the FN but are few and far between compared to the availability of MIA gunsmiths.

Scoping the FN is a nightmare compared to the quick on and off attachments made for the M1A. Once you lock down the mounts on the FN it is a real pain to try and clean one without removing the scope mount and of course you then loose your zero when removing them. The M1a can be cleaned without removing the scope mount and I have used several mounts that actually returned to zero when I did remove the scope. Not so with the FN.

The MIa is the more reliable weapon. The M1A has a rotating bolt that literaly throws mud out of it. Contrast this to the tilting bolt of the FN. The British had to put cross cuts in their inch pattern bolts because they seized up when they got clogged with Sand in the desert. You will find no such cuts in the metric pattern guns. They are not as reliable because of this omission.

The FN is an accurate gun but so is the M1A.

The straigt stock on the FN was also a mistake because it was not needed. The gun was way to light for fully automatic fire and the straight stock sure was not needed for semi-auto fire. The straight stock made snapping the gun to the shoulder slow and awkward. During the British occupation of Northern Ireland their troops had to carry the FN with the bottom of its stock over the shoulder so they could snap it up and shoot it quickly when fired upon by terrorists. A very awkward way to carry a rifle in combat.

I am not going to get rid of my FN , I waited to many years to own one. But it in no way compares to the American M1A because it has just too many draw backs.

The M!A is Just my personal preference, but there are those that have made the FN into a cult following complete with prayer, ritual and incantations by the light of the moon.. Why, I will never know.

Last edited: