M1A Questions

'75Scout

I have spent a long time trying to figure out what should be my first centerfire rifle. I looked at many FALs, AKs, AR-15s, AR-10s, M1 Garands, M1 Carbines, Mini-14s, newer .223 black rifles like the FS2000, XCR, and Sig 556. In the end I have decided on a Springfield Armory M1A. I’m looking at the Socom 16 or maybe the Scout Squad. Its use is for fun at the range, maybe some hog hunting/deer hunting, and maybe some tactical carbine courses. Plus its always good to have a rifle around just incase the SHTF. 308 should be easy enough to find in that situation. And who knows when and if a ban on semi-auto rifles will occur.

I plan so drop the Socom 16 into a Sage EBR chassis. I just can’t get the inmage of this out of my head and have loved it since I first saw one. I don’t need it, but I am tired of settling for anything less than what I consider to be exactly what I want when it comes to guns. If I have to wait and save then that’s what I’ll do. I also plan to add an Aimpoint and maybe a 3x magnifier.

So here are my questions. What is the accuracy difference at 100 yards between the Socom 16 and Scout Squad (take into account that the Sage EBR is equal to having the rifle bedded). Now that the Socom has been out so long should I be concerned about reliability issues? And does anyone have experience with the Sage EBR chassis? Is the pistol grip comfortable? Is the trigger reach too long? And would you rather have the chassis that uses a Tango Down AR grip and VLTOR stock? I like the AR style stock, but I am concerned that if I ever want to add a scope that I won’t be able to get a good cheek weld.

Jimro

There shouldn't be a noticeable difference in accuracy at 100 yards between the two, altho the squad should be easier to group with it's better sights.

Between the two I would get the squad, the barrel is only 1.75 inches longer and the better iron sights. The sights on the socom are set up for speedy aquisition, not precision shooting. Of course that might be what you really want.

As far as an Aimpoint, it makes the squad just as quick on target as the socom.

For the rest of your questions, I have no experience with the chassis.

Jimro

Jason_G

I've been looking hard at the M1A's too. For the short rifles, I like the scout squad better than the SOCOM, but that's just me. The only difference I see other than no wood for the SOCOM, and the different flash suppressor, is that the SOCOM comes with different sights (faster acquisition but less accuracy, from what I can tell). The front post has a tritium insert (unecessary for what I would be using it for, but you might want one). Overall though, I think if I'm going to fork over that much cash I might want the whole barrel :D .
I just hate the idea of spending one and a half G's for a carbine, but that's just me. I'm leaning toward the Loaded with the walnut stock. It'll be awhile before I can get one though.

Jason

Fat White Boy

Auto-loaders are fun but for hunting, I would look at a bolt action like a Remington Model 700 or a Winchester Model 70. There are magazine restrictions involved in the AR platforms and the M1A. Ruger, Browning, Savage and others also make fine bolt action rifles.

InjunScout

I've had my socom 16 for nearly a year and in my opinion its one of the finest rifles made. But I do like the squad scout. I mounted a Leupold 2.5x scout scope on mine. I used a red dot for a while and it was ok but I don't like the idea of battery powered sights. I've lost the use of my iron sights but target acquisition is still pretty fast. I have had feed problems with it when using cheap mags. You have to get the good ones from Springfield ($50 for a 20 round). Better get as many as you can before Hillary gets elected.

'75Scout

I like the Remington 700, but its not what I'm looking for. If I want a dedicated hunting gun the 700 in 308 is my 1st choice. This is not meant to be rude, but I really don't want any suggestions for other guns that may or may not meet my needs and wants. I have thought about what rifle to get for quite some time and the M1A what I'm focused on. I just want opinions from people with personal experience in the M1A family.

I didn't realize the Socom and the Scout Squad had different sights. It won't be my HD gun (Rem 870 and hanguns for that) so the Tritium post isn't needed. I've heard the Socom mussle break is really loud, but effective. I picture this weapon being a nimble 308 rifle (if thats possible) that can hit a man sized object out to at least 100 yards. I guess I should look more at the Scout because I don't plan on clearing homes with it and 1.5" won't make much of a difference is handling and weight. But it will give more velocity/energy and more accuracy potential.

DNK

FWB -- Are the mag restrictions state specific? Wouldn't he be okay just using a GI 5 round mag in his SOCOM if he wanted to hunt with it?

Fat White Boy

I live in Commiefornia and for centerfire rifles the limit is 5 total- 1 in the chamber and 4 in the mag or empty chamber 5 in the mag. And, I think if you use a Hi Capacity magazine, it must have a plug , limiting the mag to 5. I would think a 5 round GI mag would be fine.

FirstFreedom

I plan so drop the Socom 16 into a Sage EBR chassis. I just can’t get the inmage of this out of my head and have loved it since I first saw one. I don’t need it, but I am tired of settling for anything less than what I consider to be exactly what I want when it comes to guns. If I have to wait and save then that’s what I’ll do. I also plan to add an Aimpoint and maybe a 3x magnifier.

That's what you ought to do then! Get exactly what you want, if you're willing to wait. In my worldview, anything under 20" bbl in a .308 is silly - too much muzzle blast, etc. Preferably 22" bbl. But you should get what YOU want! :)

Groundhog

75 I wish you luck on your quest. I just bit the bullet and got a full 20" loaded M1A myself. I wanted to have at least one battle rifle if any kind of ban hits. I went with the 20" figuring I'd rather have the accuracy out to long ranges and just put up with the extra few inches for my fun carbine matches. Just ordered 6 20 round CMI mags the other day too from 44MAG.com so I got the bare minimum of what I needed prior to any ban. I think I still may be able to get slings and scopes for a while :D

I think you'll like the rifle a lot. I've only put 30 rounds through mine so far but it's great.

M14fan

Gotta go with what you really want!!
I prefer the Scout because it feels better balanced to me. Then again, I am not buying you a rifle! :D I love the Sage stock myself and have tried a number of ways to justify getting one for my Scout. Just because you want it and you can are probably the best reasons I have heard. Good luck and happy shooting.

Dirty_Harry

I have an M1A standard and it is my favorite firearm, you will not be disappointed, I think you should get the Scout, I want one of those badly myself. IMO if you are going to get a short .308 I would probably get the DPMS .308.........but get what you like otherwise you wont be as happy.

HorseSoldier

For an all-around kind of rifle, I'd go with the 18" barrel. Still kind of carbine-ish compared to full length 308 barrels, and you get a little more performance out of the bullet for longer range work.

Don't know much about the EBR set up but if it handles anything like, say, an M4 with optics like an ACOG fitted, you can get used to the cheek weld issue pretty easily. Just takes some range time.

Groundhog

Last weekend I was at the range with a guy who had a Trijicon III (not sure of spelling or nomenclature there) mounted on his M1A 16" with a synthetic stock. It was awesome. Exceptionally easy to get quick, close aim points and bright as all get out.

Chard

The M1a/M14 is my favorite battleaxe. I own a SA and LRB both with 22 barrels. Now I am not trying to be smart, but your talking major money. You might want to try SOCOM 16 first and see if that is what your really want.
I am not trying to talk you our of it. Just want you to be a informed buyer.
Regards,
Chard

Powderman

I picture this weapon being a nimble 308 rifle (if thats possible) that can hit a man sized object out to at least 100 yards.

Try out to 1000, with the proper bullets (175 grain).

Hint: Get the full size. That is the way the rifle was designed, and that's how it should operate. Nothing against the Scout designs, to be sure. However, if you want to go to the Sage stock, it is designed for the full sized action, if I'm not mistaken.

If you want to save money, get that wood sealed up tight, and have the rifle bedded. You now have a full fledged battle rifle that can shoot amazingly well at long distances and that will hit with authority.

Want to go the extra mile? Consider a McMillan stock, bedding, and a good mount to hold some good optics.

If I were going to go the short rifle route, I would look at an AR10 platform, or perhaps a shorter DSA/FAL type rifle.

TLF

socom or scout?

Ive had my socom 16 for almost a year. The first problem was the front sight. I obscures the target at ranges over 100 yards. I shoot at ground squirrels. So I put a C-more red dot on it and zeroed for 200 yards and have hit metal targets at over 500 yards. No Bologna. I had trouble with my stock weld and eye relief so I went with the Vltor stock and loved it. The only problem with it is that you can't put alot of accessoies on the stock so I bedded a 6 inch accessory rail on for a bipod. I then got a hair and wanted to shoot long range so a leupold mark 4 3.5X10X40 has gotten me over 600 yards. I havent gotten to the KD range to see just how far it can shoot accurately. South Afican surplus is crap for any thing consistant. NATO ball is better . The only problems funtioning have been cheap mags and a dirty gas piston. Hope that will help I'll choose 308 over 5.56 any day. :cool:

DNK

Chard, I'm thinking about buying an LRB with the 18" barrel, with a rear lug, M-25 receiver. How do you like your LRB compared to your M1A? How is your LRB outfitted - which receiver, lugs, etc. I know it's big dollars, but I figure it's the last one I'll ever have to buy. I'm just trying to figure out whether I want to go with a LRB or a Fulton/something else built on an Armscorp receiver. Decisions...

Chard

My SA runs flawless, 62,XXX range with SAK barrel and the rest TRW. It is the second SA I have owned and both have exceeded my expectations.

The LRB was ordered as a barreled action. I run down all the H&R parts and did the rest myself. Took awhile to find new or excellent USGI parts. It has the Criterion chromed lined barrel. New USGI fiberglass stock.

I like rack grade style M14 rifles. Both rifles are more accurate than I am.

fa4e4a2c.jpg

Some of the parts that I sold on line. I would buy quanity and pick the best if I was unable to find new. USGI parts sell easy, but are drying up.

M14001.jpg