M1a Question

rc

My buddy had a 16 and 24 inch model we shot. I didn't like the fat site on the stubby model and it's louder. The 18 inch scout model I bought is still heavy but much shorter than the regular rifle while still using the same gas system as the full size gun. I believe the 16 inch gun has a unique shortened gas system and a fat front sight not good for long range. The scout has a normal front sight that is easier to shoot with. I need to modify or replace my front sight because to zero at 100 I have to have the rear sight above the rear protective wings. I need to file down my front sight so I can lower my rear sight.

rc

A mini 14 in 223 is much lighter and easier to handle than an M1A scout, but not as accurate for sure. All of these guns are ridiculously expensive, even the minis.

44 AMP

Staff
The one I would keep is the one I kept, the standard rack grade M1A made with all USGI parts other than the Springfield Armory receiver. 22" barrel.

Never had or wanted any of the shorter barrel versions.

Never heard of a 24" barrel version, which one is that??

veprdude

I don't know. Depends. Are you running an optic? SOCOM 16 says you're running CQC with irons. Scout says you want an optic but have decided the worst of both worlds in terms of selection and mounting options.

I have both and I just run them with irons. So I guess I'm keeping the SOCOM 16. If I need to shoot past 400yds I'm probably picking something else anyways.

1stmar

I have a scout and like it very much. Pretty good shooter at 1.5" reliably. For a range toy it's great. However, I prefer something more handy if I were using it for anything other than a range toy. I have a Shuffs mini g, essentially a cut down garand at the same length as an m1 carbine, weighs 7.7 lbs. It feels way better in the hands. Balance is amazing and feels lighter than it is. The M1a tanker/socom 16 is pretty close I believe. If you're doing anything other than a range toy I'd go with the socom.

44 AMP

Staff
If you're doing anything other than a range toy I'd go with the socom.

Just curious, but what would you be doing that wouldn't fit under the heading of "range toy"? (I include match shooting as "range shooting" and also informal plinking)

When talking combat shooting, actual use will be with what ever you are issued, not what you pick (other than in very rare situations). Combat training is, to me, still a range use.

Hunting? Deer/big game? why bother with any short barrel semi auto .308?

I don't see the point to packing around an extra heavy .308 for hunting. OR losing velocity with a short barrel when I don't get a corresponding benefit in lighter weight.

But, that's just me. I'm well past the point in my life where climbing in and out of APCs or helocopters armed with a rifle is a factor in my life.

1stmar

44 AMP I don't presume what others do with their weapons. I don't hunt, don't use rifles for home defense, but that doesn't mean others don't. Both can be specific to the task and region you live.

SR420

I own a 22", 18" and 16.25" variant... as you can see all 3 are equipped with Smith Enterprise DC Vortex Flash Hiders that accept my Wind Talker sound suppressor. Setting them up this way relocates the front sight on the 22" and 18" to the gas lock position and ends up reducing the overall length of the barreled action. Setting up the 16.25" this way actually adds length making the barreled action slightly longer because of a threaded gas lock front sight base must be used... the 16.25" ends up being just 1/4" shorter than my 18" Scout.

The 16.25" is extremely capable, but if I had to choose just one I would choose the 18" because I benefit from a little bump in muzzle velocity and a faster front sight.

I continue the refine my set ups, so what is pictured will change a bit.

Last edited:

bamaranger

SOCOM

I've wanted a SOCOM since they first surfaced, and handled what was likely the first one to appear in a shop in our area....but did not buy. Even then the price tag was too salty. At the time, the M1A platform was approved as a patrol rifle and the 7.62mm ctg had benefits v. cover and large hairy things. Our other option was the Mini-14. We eventually ended up with a small number of full size M14 from DOD and I was fortunate enough to receive one.

It rode in the trunk, 'cause there was no room in the passenger compartment for it, too long. The SOCOM would have been far better suited to that role. It would make a powerful truck rifle today, for whatever use one might have for a rifle.

smee78

I also am part of the Scout vote, I think they are a good balance between the regular longer barrel and the short SOCOM. I like my standard-length barrel model but if I had to do it over again I would likely go for a scout.