M1a question??

pwrstrkd

This may be a dumb question but Im a bit of a novice... Ive noticed that when the mag is out and the bolt is closed, the bolt seems to be able to wobble a bit when pushed from side to side. But, as soon as the mag is placed in again, the bolt assyembly is stabalized. I know this may not be the best description, but not really sure how else to describe it. Anyways is this normal? Just wondering why this would happen and does this make it neccesary to fire the m1a only when the mag is in? If you need me to clarify what im descrbing, please ask. Thanks

Peter M. Eick

It is pretty normal. The loaded mag pushes up the bolt a bit and locks it in place.

Think about it. You need a bit of wiggle room to make everything move at high speeds during firing. Also you don't want dirt or mud stopping the gun.

dmazur

Just wondering why this would happen and does this make it neccesary to fire the m1a only when the mag is in?

There is a good reason to fire the M1A only with a magazine in place, but it isn't related to "clearances".

The problem with single-loading this type of rifle is that it has a floating firing pin. The rifle is designed to load cartridges from a magazine, which occurs at a certain speed. If you place a round in the chamber and let the bolt fly, it travels at a higher velocity.

The floating firing pin may set off the cartridge before the bolt lugs are rotated. This is called an out of battery slamfire and can destroy the rifle (and you). Even in a milder case, where the cartridge fires after the bolt lugs rotate but without pulling the trigger, there are safety issues involved. The problem is, the shooter doesn't get to choose which kind of slamfire occurs...so the safest thing is to assume it will be OOB.

Now, if you loaded the round normally, from the magazine, and then drop the magazine before firing, that is a different situation. AFAIK, there is no danger in doing this. (No particular reason to do it, either.)

mkk41

The bolt has some play. If ya put a round in the chamber , it will not be as noticeable. If ya put the mag in , with or without a round in the chamber , the top round or follower is pushing on the bolt under mag spring tension. No worries.

MR-7-45

The M1A and M14 have loose tolerances. It tolerates dirt, dust and mud quite well. The M1A and M14 can be fired one round at a time by feeding a round in the chamber without a magazine or with a magazine. Remember it was designed as a combat rifle (M1 Junior so to speak).

The M1A and M14 can be fired as single shot rifle requiring manual operation of the operating rod to extract, feed a new round and cocking. This is done by turning the spindle valve on the gas cylinder 90 degrees.

30Cal

The M1A and M14 can be fired as single shot rifle requiring manual operation of the operating rod to extract, feed a new round and cocking. This is done by turning the spindle valve on the gas cylinder 90 degrees.

Doesn't eliminate all the stuff that's hung of the barrel though (oprod, handguard, gas system, fl suppressor).

MR-7-45

I wrote that the M1A can be fired as a single shot or bolt action. I did not infer that you would remove all the other stuff off the fore end of the rifle.

Edward429451

That is useful to know, and it will allow use of ammo that is outside the normal envelope of operation in pressure or bullet weight. For non standard loads that may bend the op rod, shut the gas valve off. Suddenly the rifle can handle 180 gr & 200 gr hunting loads without risk of damage to the rifle.

Once the gas valve is turned off you essentially have a (super slick) straight pull repeater. It cycles even faster than a bolt action.:cool:

MR-7-45

Springfield Armory specifications call it a
"Caliber: 7.62x51mm NATO (.308WIN)" however the owner manual states,
" Use only recently made high quality, original military or factory-manufactured ammunition of 7.62 caliber. " so I would be cautious about using higher power rounds.

Then again, the NRA Rifleman magazine for December 2011 speaks about the M-14 being put back in service and using a "7.62 mm, M118 Long
Range, a 175-gr. match load developed especially for sniping." So go figure. :confused:

bpeezer

better to be a little too loose rather than a little too tight. it was made to be used in the field, not to be a safe queen :rolleyes:

kraigwy

I don't get all the "hang up's" with the M14/M1A.

Sure you can single load it, in fact 50% of a normal high power match require single loading.

Don't get hung up on the "floating firing pin" it ain't that big of deal. I've been shooting my heavily in High Power since 1977, I coached a NG Rifle Team using M14s, and never saw a problem with floating firing pins.

Yeah on the M14/M1A when single loading you push the round into the magazine and release the bolt with your finger to chamber around. You can slide the round into the chamber and push down on the magazine follower, it wont hurt anything but your thumb if you don't get it out of the way.

M1s are fired this way, when used in High Power or GSM Garand matches there is single loading, you slide the round into the chamber then push down on the follower to allow the bolt to come forward.

The gas cut off is for firing grenades, there is no reason to shut it off, in fact match rifles have the cut off welded or brazed so they can't be closed.

Just stick normal ammo for the gas guns, no heavy (> 180s) and use medium burning powders and you're good to go.

sixplus1

****WARNING****

If the bolt did not wiggle, then you could be headed for catastrophic failure. So this is a design feature. The wiggle clearance allows the bolt lugs to seat evenly, not putting all the stress on a single bolt lug. Please refer to "The M14 Complete Assembly Guide" by Walt Kuleck and Clint McKee, Pages 70-72.