M1A Quality

sgtredleg

Greetings all,
Just signed up for this discussion group. A few months ago I heard rumours that Springfield Armorys M1A had substandard parts in it. Apparently, SA was trying to save some money. Does anyone know if there is an truth to this? I am considering the purchase of a match grade M1A, any suggestions/comments?

Steve Smith

Actually, they recently spent over 100K to tool up to build their own forged bolts (due to problems with their older bolts). Chances are, if you get one of the new ones, you'll get a forged bolt. You can check with SA before you buy...just supply them the SN, I'd guess. The rest of the parts on mine (very recent manufacture) are all SA, but they seem to bee of very good quality. However, the assembly might be having a problem there. I recently ounted a scope on my M1A and found that even with the windage cranked all the way to the left, I was still hitting 4" to the right. A call to SA said "send it in." It sounded like they knew the problem. I've sent a gun back to SA before, their service was always great and they really treated me well...I hope they do the same this time.

Peter M. Eick

When I bought my National Match about 2 years ago, the rear sight was so loose that it would wiggle when it was 2 clicks off the bottom detent. Up 8 clicks I would shoot 2 foot groups because it was so sloppy. I sent it back to springfield and they fixed it right up, but I never really got over it. I might have expected a loose sight in a conventional, but not one of the match grade rifles. As to the rest of the gun the quality seems great, but I have not bought another new M1A since my NM, so I cannot help much with the recent quality.

MIKE14

I purchased a Springfield M1A loaded package about 3 yrs. ago. I Traded it off about three weeks ago. not because there was anything wrong with it. I just had to take this guy up on the offer he made me on it. I then went and bought another M1A loaded package (I wound up with a M-97 inter ordnance AK-47 a new M1A loaded and $100.00 boot in the deal) I had to order the new rifle when it arrived I was worried that I may have not came out of the deal as far ahead as I thought. But to my surprise this new rifle shot better out of the box than the old one did after it was broke in. I'm very happy with mine. Springfield has always been straight up with any dealings I have ever had with them. You can not go wrong with a genuine Springfield M1A.
Thats my two cents worth.