M1A op rod dismount problem

nwgunman

Anybody else out there ever have a problem getting the op rod out of the receiver rail? I posted in "The Smithy" and thought I'd try here also. This is a new M1A and it's driving me nuts. I used to have a like new M1 Garand so I'm familiar with the procedure. The Garand it was a piece of cake. Thanks.

James K

Member In Memoriam
The M1A rod, if GI M14, has to have that lip welded on and sometimes this is left oversize. New made ones also sometimes are oversize. Other M1A owners have had to use a screwdriver or something similar (preferably brass) to pry the rod up and out. There just seems to be no other way. Once the rod is out, compare it to your M1 receiver and rod and make the M1A the same. Use a Dremel tool and remove material carefully until things work, but try as you go and don't overdo it.

Jim

jcoyoung

Found one of my posts from some time back. Check it out here:
M-1A Op Rod Removal

Or just read my method. :)
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>It took me 50 minutes to remove my op rod for the first time. Those danged factory instructions are so vague, and the USGI instructions are equally help-less.
It seems everytime I try to remove the op-rod, I totally forget how I did it the last time. I just tried Tomas' trick (sans screwdriver) and it works good.

A screwdriverless method.
-Rest your rifle on the left side of the receiver with the muzzle pointing to your left.
-Line up the rear of the op rod with almost the rear of the takedown slot.
-Put your left index finger under the op-rod, just to the left of the clip guide. the end of your finger should be contacting the roller-cam guide slot.
-Place your right hand/finger behind the op-rod charging handle. (The surface that is the bottom of the handle when the rifle is right side up).
-Using your left index finger, apply upward pressure on the op-rod, then with your right hand, pull the charging handle towards your body (up-in relation to the rifle). Try wiggleing if its stubborn.

This has been working for me as I've typed this. I've shot about 750 rounds through my M1A, so the action may be loosened up so that it's easier to take down.

Good Luck!
[/quote]

Hope this helps.

nwgunman

No luck so far. I tried (gently) the "screw driver" method. I tried (vigorously) the "screwdriverless" method. I'm comtemplating the "bigger hammer" method...just kidding. I have put several hgundred rounds through the rifle. After each session I told myself "it just needs to lossen up a bit". Not yet, I guess. Well, thanks anyway...now, where'd I put that 12 lb sledge....

Steve Smith

I just bought a Springfield M1A. I tried JCO young's "screwdriverless method" (before I even fired it once) and had it done in 5 minutes. I can now completely field strip in about 45 seconds. First of all, you removed the op rod spring, right? ok...here's what I do to get the "screwdriverless" method to work (it's the only way I've done it, so therefore I won't consider a screwdriver method.) Pull the bolt all the way back. Now slowly push it forward...SLOWLY, I SAID!!! As soon as there's enough of the op rod sticking out past the clip guide to get your finger under, stick your finger there and pull up (with the rifle laying on it's side) while at the same time, pushing toward you at the very tip of the op rod handle. Continue moving the rod forward slowly, 'till you get to the place where it pops out.

jcoyoung

For 50 minutes, I thought it was impossible to remove that op-rod. Kinda like those metal "Brain Teaser" puzzles at Cracker Barrel. After I finally got it, I put it back together and promptly forgot how I removed it. DOH! All I can say is, Keep trying! :)

nwgunman

Thank-you gentlemen. Op rod finally came out and no, I didn't resort to a "bigger hammer"! It was Frontsight!'s addition to the "screwdriverless" method that did the trick. Thanks again to one and all. I will now check the specs and make sure all is well with the rod stud and the dismount notch. Thanks again and stay safe!